Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

  • ashinpan
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 8, 2010
      Dear Bankei

      You wrote:

      > Thats a good comparison.
      >
      > But it doesn't really fit as in the Military a salute does not depend on
      > gender. It depends on rank. So a junior male officer would have to salute a
      > senior female officer.

      Sorry, I think you have missed my point. I am not talking about the gender difference in the military.

      What I mean is this. For an outsider, the difference of duties and responsibilities divide soldiers into different ranks, just like in all other hierarchical organizations. Then why should there be severe social barriers between different ranks in the military, unlike other organizations?

      with metta

      Ven. Pandita
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html