Re: [Pali] Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

  • Bankei
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 4, 2010
      Sabrinap wrote:
      If you compare the Bhikkhuni Patimokkha with the Bhikkhu Patimokkha, you can
      see that beyond the numer of rules thay are the same. It means, that there
      are not more duties for women than men. By the way, the first nuns was
      attacked living outside temple as monks, and they were also blanks of
      deceives.

      Hi Sabrinap

      I am not sure I would agree with you that they are the same. Once example is
      the monks have only 4 Parajika rules, but the women have 8, twice the number
      of the men.

      For a nun to touch a man lustfully it is a parajika offence. Yet for a monk
      to touch a woman lustfully it is only a sanghadisesa offence.

      Maybe the rule is the same, in this instance, but the punishment is far
      greater for the nuns.

      Bankei

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html