Re: [Pali] Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

  • Ngawang Dorje
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi,

      > Accepting female monastics was something very bold or revolutionary of the Buddha, and none of his contemporaries is known to have done the same.<

      I beg to differ. Unfortunately, it's a myth propagated by many Buddhists. Jains already had Nuns' Order before Buddha.(Padmanabh S. Jaini, Gender and Salvation Jaina Debates on the Spiritual Liberation of Women)

      Best wishes,
      Rahula

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html