Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 2 5:20 AM
      Dear Bankei,

      I believe this discussion requires some understanding of the socio-cultural settings of Buddha's days, and the development of the Sangha (and the Vinaya) under the direct ministry of the Buddha.

      Again, I have to admit little knowledge of the Vinaya. So, I do not expect an "explosive" discussion, and I suppose there are good articles, books, etc. that we can share with each other on various views and opinions.

      Accepting female monastics was something very bold or revolutionary of the Buddha, and none of his contemporaries is known to have done the same. In fact, in those days, even certain men were denied rights to worship, let alone women. So, for the Buddha to accept female disciples into his order was breaking one big taboo of the ancient Indian society.

      I think this has to be a case of gender bias, as it is making one gender subordinate to the other gender. These rules on apply to women who already had many vinaya rules more than the men.

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31 3:49 AM
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html