Re: [Pali] Gender bias in Buddhism?

  • Bankei
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Yong Peng

      I think this has to be a case of gender bias, as it is making one gender sub
      ordinate to the other gender. These rules on apply to women who already had
      many vinaya rules more than the men.

      But, on the other hand it was a radical development to even have female
      monastics in ancient India.

      Bankei

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html