Re: [Pali] pronunciation of jj in sambojjhanga

  • Anton Bjerke
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
      My mother-tongue is Swedish with a bit Norwegian, and my father-tongue
      Finnish, but Finnish I had to learn by myself and now I've almost lost
      it "again"...:)
      In order to relate to something that has at least a distant relation to
      the thread, I would say that the combination of Swedish and Finnish
      gives a good basis for learning Pali or Sanskrit pronunciation - in
      (especially Western, "half-Norwegian") Swedish I think there actually is
      a somewhat similar way of word-intonation + supradental consonants +
      phonological distinction of length (yes, questionable). I guess that's
      why many Indian languages sound extremely funny to Swedes. By the way,
      'sata' is indeed borrowed in Finnish from some Indo-Iranian language.
      Sorry everyone for this Scandinavian-centered off-the-thread discussion!