Re: Brahmaa Sahampati

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2010
      Dear Thomas and friends,

      if I recall correctly, there was already previous discussion on this topic. I have not read much about Sahampati, so was not able to contribute to the discussion. I like to thank Thomas for the question, and everyone who has helped to provide an answer. I have learned from the discussion too.

      Thomas, regardless of the meaning of the name, and regardless of how a particular heavenly "character" is regarded in any Buddhist tradition, in the Buddhist practice, Buddhists respect all heavenly beings, but do not generally associate with any.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, thomaslaw03 wrote:

      I now will consider that the term Sahampati (or Sahaa.mpati) is used in both ways, Lord of the Saha world and a name for an individual Brahmaa who is the most senior of Brahmaas in the Brahmaa world. I hope this is OK for all Buddhist traditions.