The "Ven" thing

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2002
      Jou wrote:
      >kb> ven k
      >
      >Dear Sir, I find you refering to yourself as venerable as distasteful, NB
      >this is not saying that you are not venerable. As a bhikkhu I referred to
      >myself as bhikkhu. I have not seen an example of the Buddha referring to
      >himself as venerable.

      Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't think much of it. Just thought that "ven k" seems short and sweet enough. Besides, I also thought that having "ven." would make it better for newcomers who tend to be at lost as to how to address monks. I'm thinking: If he addresses me as Kumaara, it may be as if he's a senior monk. If he calls me Bhikkhu, it may be as if he's the Buddha!

      Do you think it would be more suitable that I refer to myself as being "Kumaara Bhikkhu" in this group and other email messages?

      peace

      Kumâra Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2002
        Venerable Kumaara Bhikkhu,
        I just want to express my appreciation for all your efforts. I think you
        take so much trouble to answer people's questions, so much patience.
        With appreciation,
        Nina.

        op 21-11-2002 03:50 schreef Kumaara Bhikkhu op venkumara@...:

        > Jou wrote:
        >> kb> ven k
      • Jou Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2002
          > I just want to express my appreciation for all your efforts. I think you
          > take so much trouble to answer people's questions, so much patience.
          > With appreciation,

          ditto from Jou

          Peace from Norman Joseph (Jou) Smith
          ICQ: 183459
          E-mail: josmith.1@...
          Secondary Email: s351543@...
          V-mail: +61 7 (0)500523778
          Mobile: +61 (0)421 542 653
          S-mail: PO Box 95 Toowong BC Queensland 4066 Australia
          URI: http://www.bigfoot.com/~josmith.1
          E-group: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ttbt
        • Jou Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2002
            >Dear Sir, I find you refering to yourself as venerable as distasteful, NB
            >this is not saying that you are not venerable. As a bhikkhu I referred to
            >myself as bhikkhu. I have not seen an example of the Buddha referring to
            >himself as venerable.

            Thank you for pointing that out.

            Me: No problem.

            I didn't think much of it. Just thought that "ven k" seems short and sweet
            enough. Besides, I also thought that having "ven." would make it better for
            newcomers who tend to be at lost as to how to address monks. I'm thinking:
            If he addresses me as Kumaara, it may be as if he's a senior monk. If he
            calls me Bhikkhu, it may be as if he's the Buddha!

            Me: Oh well, if it happens you can let them know, right? But it may not
            happen, it just might be a projected fear from your mind, right?

            Do you think it would be more suitable that I refer to myself as being
            "Kumaara Bhikkhu" in this group and other email messages?

            Me: Yep