Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [24/120]

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 75 , Feb 4, 2010
      Attention: Nina,

      N: What you say is gramatically correct. But some years ago we

      discussed this construction here on the list. Having done this, he

      goes there. For the flow of English we can translate more freely: he

      does this and then goes there, adding 'and'.

      ---------------------
      DC: I am sure you are right, but we understand it differently.

      He does this is in the present tense; goes there is also present tense.

      Then 'he' is doing two actions at the same time.

      (DC)

      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.