The New Pali Course Part III [24/120]

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 75 , Feb 1 7:51 AM
      Imaani phalaani aagantvaa mayha.m purato patanti; 'atthi nu kho upari
      luddako'ti punappuna ullokento luddaka.m disvaa... ima.m gaatham aaha."
      [J.i,173-4]
      YP: "These fruits come and fall in front of me; 'there is, yeah?, a little
      hunter.' looking out repeatedly, having seen the young hunter... this verse
      he said."

      aagantvaa is an absolutive. It means having come,
      mayha.m is dat. or gen. It means to me or mine.
      purato: also means 'before'. Before could be either in time or space as in
      English.

      atthi = there is
      kho: emphatic particle, it makes the 'there is' more like 'there should be.'
      upari: above, upari is used here because the fruits fell from above. [more
      in the sense of from front].
      Witout purato and upari, the senteces do not add up.
      Ullekento is to look at, into look for something. In idiomatic English look
      out has a different meaning.
      -------------------------------

      134. "Esa bhikkhu, mahaaraaja, Pa.n.davassa puratthato
      Nisinno vyagghusabho'va, siiho'va girigabbhare"
      But my humble rendering is: "That monk, O great king, is sitting in front of
      the mountain Pa.n.dava just like a noble tiger or a lion lying in a cave."

      vyagghusabhova is a compund of vyaggha and usabha. The meaning of usabha is
      the leading bull, head bull or king bull.
      So here king of the vyagghas.
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.