Re: how many suttas end with "here is a tree, empty hut, do jhana..." Re: Antw.: [Pali] Re: Was the Buddha Obliged to Observe Vinaya Rules?, no 5.

  • frank
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
      Thanks for the input Ria.
      I'll have to learn more about flexions and Pali rules before I can
      confidently enter better search strings.
      -Frank

      On 1/5/2010 1:08 PM, grasje wrote:

> [...]
      > su~n~naagaaragatopi (1) as well
      > In all situations the word is preceded by "foot of a tree".
      >
      > The SN rends suññÄ?gÄ?ragatÄ?naá¹f (1) and su~n~naagaaragato (15)
      >
      > There might be other flexions that I am not aware of. This is as far
      > as my Pali goes.
      >
      > The -pe- repeats are not written out as complete text in the DPR, as
      > far as I know, so you might want to check those in an other way. If
      > you can do that on the plain pali text, here is how you can get it all
      > in your wordprocessor:
      >
      > The whole SN is in 5 files on your computer. The files are in the
      > directory
      > Program files\DPR\DPR\xml\s1m.xml ; S2m ---S5m. The S1a files are the
      > commentaries.
      > If you want to open the files directly it is better first to make a
      > copy and save that copy in another directory. DPR will refuse to read
      > files that have been saved by a normal wordprocessor. You can open the
      > copy in a standard wordprocessor as long as you won't try to use the
      > same file in your browser afterwards. The wordprocessor will process
      > all the HTML-code and convert it to quite readable Velthuis, but still
      > mixed with some stuff I don't understand.
      >
      > BTW the directory DPPN contains the dictionary of pali proper names.
      > CSS contains the layout of the pages, etc contains the dictionaries,
      > images contains images and js contains javascript, the actions
      > happening when you click on one of the buttons. XML contains the
      > tipitaka and the commentaries.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Ria Glas
      >
      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank
      > <fcckuan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Rosa! I had the impression the phrase was even more frequent
      > than
      > > that, but it's probably because there are certain key suttas such as [M
      > > 152] that I tend to re-read frequently, resulting in that impression.
      > > Playing around this morning I just realized DPR can do a much wider
      > > search than only the current window/sutta. Doing the widest search for
      > > "empty hut" in DPR results in:
      > > Search Results for *su~n~naagaaraani: * DN:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfDN')> 0, MN:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfMN')> 4, SN:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfSN')> 7, AN:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAN')> 4, KN:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfKN')> 0, Vin:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfVin')> 0, Abhi:
      > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAbhi')> 0
      > >
      > > The lack of results in Samyutta presumably is due to the "..." sutta
      > > repetitions that are ellipsed out. I manually looked through the ending
      > > page of each of the 34 DN suttas (maurice walshe version) yesterday,
      > > and confirmed the lack of the phrase in DN. Your search results below
      > > found 3 occurences in MN, DPR reported 4, I'm going to look into that
      > > discrepancy right now and get back to you guys later today or

    • frank
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hi Rosa, DPR = digital pali reader, which is a must have. you can get it
        from here:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalpali/

        Really fantastic work they did on that project. Huge time saver, space
        saver, etc...

        Which program and pali canon did you use to produce the search that
        resulted in about 68 finds of the phrase

        “What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a Teacher
        who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them,
        that I have done for you, Ananda.
        There are these roots of trees,
        these empty huts.
        Meditate, Ananda,
        do not delay,
        or else you will regret it later.
        This is our instruction to you.”

        -Frank

        On 1/5/2010 10:42 AM, Rosa Grau gmail wrote:

        > Frank,
        >
        > I searched for jāyatha, maybe that explains the discrepancies. I can
        > do another search if necessary. What is DPR, by the way?
        >
        > Rosa
        >
        > _____

      • Rosa Grau gmail
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
          Hi Frank,

          I normally use the pali_tipitaka_utf8 file downloadable from www.buddhistethics.org <http://www.buddhistethics.org/> . I will install it and see if there any advantages in using DPR. I would be grateful to know of any available resources, as very soon I am planning to do my MA in Lexicography research based on the Pali Canon, and I have to say that having studied Pali for one year I consider myself a beginner compared to the highly knowledgeable people in this group.

          I used AntConc - a program used in corpus linguistics - to produce the search. If you’re interested just google AntConc and you will find it first on the list.

          Rosa

          _____

          http://sourceforge. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalpali/> net/projects/digitalpali/