Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [22/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 5, 2010
      Dear Yong Peng,
      Thank you very much.
      Op 3-jan-2010, om 10:40 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > [22/120]
      >
      > The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      > Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera
      >
      > Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables

      112. neva (=na+eva), indeed not

      "Ta`n kho pan'eta.m paapakamma.m n'eva maataraa kata.m, na pitaraa
      kata.m." [A.i,139]

      YP: "That certainly this evil deed (is) indeed not done by mother,
      not done by father."

      YP: I have "kho pana" (but indeed) as 'certainly'.

      N: Yes. But I think that as to Ta�nkho, this �ta.m� belongs to
      paapakamma.m. PTS: that evil action of yours ...

      Ta.m and eta.m, perhaps for the sake of stress?

      --------

      113. nanu (na+nu), is it not? (This is in affirmation and
      interrogation.)

      "Nanu te puttena Ma.t.taku.n.dalinaa mayi mana.m pasaadetvaa sagge
      nibbatta-bhaavo kathito?" [DhA.i,33]

      "Was it not told by your son, Ma.t.taku.n.dali, that he was born in
      heaven on account of the faith in me?"
      -------

      Just the use of the article 'the' in English sounds strange.

      Suggestted: On account of faith in me, or: his faith...

      --------

      (b) "Mu~nca pure, mu~nca pacchato,
      Majjhe mu~nca bhavassa paaraguu." [Dhp.v.348]

      "Give up the things of the future, give up the things of the past,
      Give up the things of the present; cross to the farther
      shore." [B.L.iii,229]

      ------

      N: bhavassa, of existence. The transl has: cross to the farther shore
      of existence...

      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.