Re: Antw.: [Pali] Re: Was the Buddha Obliged to Observe Vinaya Rules?, no 5.

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
      Venerable Pandita,

      Op 5-jan-2010, om 15:14 heeft ashinpan het volgende geschreven:

      > The idea of carrot or stick helps to a certain extent. If a person
      > is even not afraid of a stick, well, no one can help him.
      ------
      N: This is clear. Thank you for all your observations and your
      patience answering all these mails.

      With respect,

    • frank
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
        Thanks Rosa! I had the impression the phrase was even more frequent than
        that, but it's probably because there are certain key suttas such as [M
        152] that I tend to re-read frequently, resulting in that impression.
        Playing around this morning I just realized DPR can do a much wider
        search than only the current window/sutta. Doing the widest search for
        "empty hut" in DPR results in:
        Search Results for *su~n~naagaaraani: * DN:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfDN')> 0, MN:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfMN')> 4, SN:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfSN')> 7, AN:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAN')> 4, KN:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfKN')> 0, Vin:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfVin')> 0, Abhi:
        <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAbhi')> 0

        The lack of results in Samyutta presumably is due to the "..." sutta
        repetitions that are ellipsed out. I manually looked through the ending
        page of each of the 34 DN suttas (maurice walshe version) yesterday,
        and confirmed the lack of the phrase in DN. Your search results below
        found 3 occurences in MN, DPR reported 4, I'm going to look into that
        discrepancy right now and get back to you guys later today or tomorrow...

        -Frank

        On 1/5/2010 12:25 AM, Rosa Grau gmail wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > 46 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 47 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 48 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 49 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 50 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 51 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 52 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 53 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 54 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 55 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 56 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 57 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 58 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 59 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha
        > bhikkhave, mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 60 Etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha bhikkhave
        > mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 61 etāni bhikkhave rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha bhikkhave
        > mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino SN IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 62 ā. Etāni bhikkhu rukkhamūlāni. Etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha bhikkhu,
        > mā pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino a AN III_utf8.txt
        >
        > 63 . Etāni bhikkhu, rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha bhikkhu,
        > mā pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino a AN III_utf8.txt
        >
        > 64 ayā. Etāni cunda rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha cunda mā
        > pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino ahuv MN I_utf8.txt
        >
        > 65 āraṃ sumāpitaṃ, So tattha patisallino eko rahasi jhāyatha. 2615. Sa
        > rājā paridevesi putatasokena aṭṭito, J IV_utf8.txt
        >
        > 66 khaluṅkajjhāyitaṃ hoti. 1. Saddho machasaṃ. 2. Jhāyatha sīmu. 3.
        > Bandho syā, [BJT Page 610] [\x 610/] AN V_utf8.txt
        >
        > 67 hamāne sampavedhamāne passatha dakkhatha oloketha jhāyatha
        > upaparikkhathāti 'mamāyite passatha phandamāne. ' Nidd I_utf8.txt
        >
        > 68 ā. Etāni ānanda, rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha ānanda,
        > mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino ah MN II_utf8.txt

      • frank
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
          Ok, there are at least 4 confirmed occurences in Majjima Nikaya of the
          phrase, "Here is a foot of a tree, an empty hut, [monks], you better
          practice jhana or you will deeply regret it later...."

          Majjhima occurrences: 152, 106, 19, 8, [ m8.nypo
          <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.008.nypo.html> ], [
          m19.than
          <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html> ], [
          m106.than
          <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.106.than.html> ], [
          m.152.than
          <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.152.than.html> ]

          M152 is one of my all time favorite suttas. M8 and M19 I've also re-read
          with disproportionate frequency, which is why in my mind I have the
          impression the phrase "practice jhana" is much more frequent than 4
          occurrences out of 152 in Majjhima. I loooooove M152. I really love
          m152. I can not express in ascii how much I love that sutta. It
          describes what behavior and accomplishment we strive for in practicing
          the buddha's path. I'm cutting and pasting an excerpt from Thanissaro's
          translation:
          "And how is one a noble one with developed faculties?
          There is the case where, when seeing a form with the eye, there arises
          in a monk what is agreeable, what is disagreeable, what is agreeable &
          disagreeable.
          If he wants, he remains percipient of loathsomeness in the presence of
          what is not loathsome.
          If he wants, he remains percipient of unloathsomeness in the presence of
          what is loathsome.
          If he wants, he remains percipient of loathsomeness in the presence of
          what is not loathsome & what is.
          If he wants, he remains percipient of unloathsomeness in the presence of
          what is loathsome & what is not.
          If he wants — in the presence of what is loathsome & what is not —
          cutting himself off from both, he remains equanimous, alert, & mindful.
          my comments: How beautiful is that? To abide in peace, freedom,
          fearlessness, under any and every circumstance that life can throw at
          you. I can totally understand the sentiment of Buddhists who have the
          desire to just bow to the triple gem for the rest of their life, I mean
          physically bow and prostrate again and again, forgoing eating, sleeping,
          etc... There's just no way fully express or capture how beautiful,
          profound, effective the dhamma is.
          -Frank

        • Rosa Grau gmail
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
            Frank,

            I searched for jāyatha, maybe that explains the discrepancies. I can do another search if necessary. What is DPR, by the way?

            Rosa

            _____

> [...]

            > 62 ā. Etāni bhikkhu rukkhamūlāni. Etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha bhikkhu,
            > mā pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino a AN III_utf8.txt
            >
            > 63 . Etāni bhikkhu, rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha bhikkhu,
            > mā pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino a AN III_utf8.txt
            >
            > 64 ayā. Etāni cunda rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni. Jhāyatha cunda mā
            > pamādattha. Mā pacchā vippaṭisārino ahuv MN I_utf8.txt
            >
            > 65 āraṃ sumāpitaṃ, So tattha patisallino eko rahasi jhāyatha. 2615. Sa
            > rājā paridevesi putatasokena aṭṭito, J IV_utf8.txt
            >
            > 66 khaluṅkajjhāyitaṃ hoti. 1. Saddho machasaṃ. 2. Jhāyatha sīmu. 3.
            > Bandho syā, [BJT Page 610] [\x 610/] AN V_utf8.txt
            >
            > 67 hamāne sampavedhamāne passatha dakkhatha oloketha jhāyatha
            > upaparikkhathāti 'mamāyite passatha phandamāne. ' Nidd I_utf8.txt
            >
            > 68 ā. Etāni ānanda, rukkhamūlāni, etāni suññāgārāni, jhāyatha ānanda,
            > mā pamādattha, mā pacchā vippaṭisārino ah MN II_utf8.txt

          • grasje
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
              Dear Frank,

              "empty hut" appears in the satipatthana sutta as well, then as su~n~naagaaragato. In the MN this word appears 7 times.
              If I skip the ending "ato", DPR finds suññāgāragatāpi (2) and su~n~naagaaragatopi (1) as well
              In all situations the word is preceded by "foot of a tree".

              The SN rends suññāgāragatānaṃ (1) and su~n~naagaaragato (15)

              There might be other flexions that I am not aware of. This is as far as my Pali goes.

              The -pe- repeats are not written out as complete text in the DPR, as far as I know, so you might want to check those in an other way. If you can do that on the plain pali text, here is how you can get it all in your wordprocessor:

              The whole SN is in 5 files on your computer. The files are in the directory
              Program files\DPR\DPR\xml\s1m.xml ; S2m ---S5m. The S1a files are the commentaries.
              If you want to open the files directly it is better first to make a copy and save that copy in another directory. DPR will refuse to read files that have been saved by a normal wordprocessor. You can open the copy in a standard wordprocessor as long as you won't try to use the same file in your browser afterwards. The wordprocessor will process all the HTML-code and convert it to quite readable Velthuis, but still mixed with some stuff I don't understand.

              BTW the directory DPPN contains the dictionary of pali proper names.
              CSS contains the layout of the pages, etc contains the dictionaries, images contains images and js contains javascript, the actions happening when you click on one of the buttons. XML contains the tipitaka and the commentaries.

              Kind regards,

              Ria Glas

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank <fcckuan@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Rosa! I had the impression the phrase was even more frequent than
              > that, but it's probably because there are certain key suttas such as [M
              > 152] that I tend to re-read frequently, resulting in that impression.
              > Playing around this morning I just realized DPR can do a much wider
              > search than only the current window/sutta. Doing the widest search for
              > "empty hut" in DPR results in:
              > Search Results for *su~n~naagaaraani: * DN:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfDN')> 0, MN:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfMN')> 4, SN:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfSN')> 7, AN:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAN')> 4, KN:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfKN')> 0, Vin:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfVin')> 0, Abhi:
              > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAbhi')> 0
              >
              > The lack of results in Samyutta presumably is due to the "..." sutta
              > repetitions that are ellipsed out. I manually looked through the ending
              > page of each of the 34 DN suttas (maurice walshe version) yesterday,
              > and confirmed the lack of the phrase in DN. Your search results below
              > found 3 occurences in MN, DPR reported 4, I'm going to look into that
              > discrepancy right now and get back to you guys later today or tomorrow...
              >
              > -Frank

            • frank
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
                Thanks for the input Ria.
                I'll have to learn more about flexions and Pali rules before I can
                confidently enter better search strings.
                -Frank

                On 1/5/2010 1:08 PM, grasje wrote:

> [...]
                > > "empty hut" in DPR results in:
                > > Search Results for *su~n~naagaaraani: * DN:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfDN')> 0, MN:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfMN')> 4, SN:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfSN')> 7, AN:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAN')> 4, KN:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfKN')> 0, Vin:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfVin')> 0, Abhi:
                > > <javascript:go_anchor('searchb','sbfAbhi')> 0
                > >
                > > The lack of results in Samyutta presumably is due to the "..." sutta
                > > repetitions that are ellipsed out. I manually looked through the ending
                > > page of each of the 34 DN suttas (maurice walshe version) yesterday,
                > > and confirmed the lack of the phrase in DN. Your search results below
                > > found 3 occurences in MN, DPR reported 4, I'm going to look into that
                > > discrepancy right now and get back to you guys later today or

              • frank
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Hi Rosa, DPR = digital pali reader, which is a must have. you can get it
                  from here:
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalpali/

                  Really fantastic work they did on that project. Huge time saver, space
                  saver, etc...

                  Which program and pali canon did you use to produce the search that
                  resulted in about 68 finds of the phrase

                  “What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a Teacher
                  who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them,
                  that I have done for you, Ananda.
                  There are these roots of trees,
                  these empty huts.
                  Meditate, Ananda,
                  do not delay,
                  or else you will regret it later.
                  This is our instruction to you.”

                  -Frank

                  On 1/5/2010 10:42 AM, Rosa Grau gmail wrote:

                  > Frank,
                  >
                  > I searched for jāyatha, maybe that explains the discrepancies. I can
                  > do another search if necessary. What is DPR, by the way?
                  >
                  > Rosa
                  >
                  > _____

                • Rosa Grau gmail
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2010
                    Hi Frank,

                    I normally use the pali_tipitaka_utf8 file downloadable from www.buddhistethics.org <http://www.buddhistethics.org/> . I will install it and see if there any advantages in using DPR. I would be grateful to know of any available resources, as very soon I am planning to do my MA in Lexicography research based on the Pali Canon, and I have to say that having studied Pali for one year I consider myself a beginner compared to the highly knowledgeable people in this group.

                    I used AntConc - a program used in corpus linguistics - to produce the search. If you’re interested just google AntConc and you will find it first on the list.

                    Rosa

                    _____

                    http://sourceforge. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalpali/> net/projects/digitalpali/