The New Pali Course Part III [22/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 3, 2010
      [22/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables

      112. neva (=na+eva), indeed not

      "Ta`n kho pan'eta.m paapakamma.m n'eva maataraa kata.m, na pitaraa kata.m." [A.i,139]

      YP: "That certainly this evil deed (is) indeed not done by mother, not done by father."

      YP: I have "kho pana" (but indeed) as 'certainly'.

      113. nanu (na+nu), is it not? (This is in affirmation and interrogation.)

      "Nanu te puttena Ma.t.taku.n.dalinaa mayi mana.m pasaadetvaa sagge nibbatta-bhaavo kathito?" [DhA.i,33]

      "Was it not told by your son, Ma.t.taku.n.dali, that he was born in heaven on account of the faith in me?"

      114. nu expresses uncertainty and interrogation

      "Gato nu Cittakuu.ta.m vaa
      Kelaasa.m vaa Yugandhara.m?" [DhA.iii,217]

      Has he gone to (the mountain) Cittakuu.ta, or to Kelaasa or Yugandhara?

      115. namo, homage; veneration

      "Namo te purisaaja~n~na; Namo to purisuttama." [Theg.v.629]

      "Hail unto thee, thou nobly born of men!
      Hail unto thee, thou highest among men!" [Ps.B.274]

      116. naha, is adversative and negative

      "Naha nuuna so orako dhammavinayo, na saa orakaa pabbajjaa yattha... Vipassii kumaaro... pabbajito." [D.ii,30]

      Surely this is not ordinary religious rule, this is no common going forth in which prince Vipassii has become a monk.

      117. naama, just; indeed; for sure

      "Pamattassa ca naama cattaaro apaayaa sakagehasadisaa." [DhA.i,9]

      Surely the four states of misery are like his own home to a negligent person.

      118. nuuna, certainly; is it then?

      "Etaasa.m nuuna bhante samaadhi-bhaavanaana.m sacchikiriyaahetu bhikkhuu Bhagavati brahmacariya.m carantii ti?" [D.i,155]

      "Then, Sir, is it for the sake of attaining to the practice of such self-concentration that the brethren lead the religious life under the Blessed One?"

      119. nicca.m, always; constantly

      "Nicca.m aaraddhaviriyehi pa.n.ditehi sahaa vase." [Theg.v.148]

      Always live with the wise who are strenuous.

      120. pageva, beforehand; early; not to speak of

      (a) Se.t.thidhiitaa pi'ssa pageva sa~n~na.m adaasi." [A.A.429]

      The millionaire's daughter gave him information beforehand.

      (b) "Manasikaatum pi me esaa, bhikkhave, disaa na phaasu hoti, pageva gantu.m." [A.i,275]

      It is unpleasant for me, O monks, even to think of such a quarter, not to speak of going there.

      121. pagevatara.m, very early

      "Aayasmaa Anuruddho pagevatara.m aagaccheyya." [M.iii,145]

      The venerable Anuruddha may come very early.

      122. pacchato, from behind

      "Sujaataa pi yaanaka.m pahaaya... paridevamaanaa pacchato pacchato agamaasi." [J.ii,123]

      YP: "Sujaataa too, leaving the carriage... (and) lamenting, went close behind."

      YP: From PTS PED, pacchato pacchato: close behind.

      (b) "Mu~nca pure, mu~nca pacchato,
      Majjhe mu~nca bhavassa paaraguu." [Dhp.v.348]

      "Give up the things of the future, give up the things of the past,
      Give up the things of the present; cross to the farther shore." [B.L.iii,229]

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.