Re: [Pali] Re: Was the Buddha Obliged to Observe Vinaya Rules?, no 2.

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 23, 2009
      Dear Nina,

      Thank you for your reply.
      You say "No problem if you do not agree." I understand that statement as: Since what I say is the truth, whatever you say doesn't maater to me. There is a very beutiful expression used by the Buddha to express that attitude: "idameva sacca.m moghama~n~na.m"

      It is not necessary for you to accept or agree, but your understanding and translation of the following passage is wrong: "(II, Nidaana-sa.myutta, Ch VII, 61:<Ya.m ca
      kho eta.m bhikkhave vuccati citta.m iti pi mano iti pi vi~n~na.m itipi..." The word paramattha dhamma has been coined by the abhidhammikas and of late origina nd has nothing to do with the Buddha.

      You have said: "There are many degrees of  sammaadi.t.thi"
      Your foregoing statment is a misrepresentation of the Buddha Dhamma. According to the sutta's thee are two kinds of sammaadi.tthi.
      By the way, according to the suttas, misrepresenting the Buddha is one of the worst paapakammas one can do.

      May you be happy and live long, (sukhii hotu cira.m jiivatu).
      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 27, 2009
        Dear Bryan,
        Op 24-dec-2009, om 12:45 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

        > N: Usually we pay attention to
        > >the outward appearance of things and the details and take them for
        > >real. That is a delusion, as we read in the suttas. We usually take
        > >concepts for realities.
        >
        > That was well put and is in fact the subject of a whole Mahāyāna
        > sūtra (the Saṃdhinirmocana Sūtra). Are you familiar with
        > anywhere in the Pāli scriptures where the Buddha discusses that, i.
        > e. our propensity to superimpose a concept on reality and take it
        > as real and permanent?
        -------
        N: M. sutta 27, Cuu.lahatthipadopamasutta.m:
        <So cakkhuunaa ruupa.m disvaa na nimittaggaahii hoti
        naanubya~njanaggaahii; yatvaadhikara.nam ena.m cakkhundriya.m
        sa.mvuta.m viharanta.m abhijjhaadomanassaa paapaka akusalaa dhammaa
        anvaassaveyu.m tassa sa.mvaraaya pa.tipajjati, rakkhati cakkhundriye
        sa.mvara.m aapajjati. Sotena sadda.m sutvaa- pe pe >

        PTS transl: <Having seen material shape with the eye, he is not
        entranced by the general appearance, he is not entranced by the
        detail. If he dwells with this organ of sight uncontrolled,
        covetousness and dejection, evil states of mind, might predominate.
        So he fares along controlling it; he guards the organ of sight, he
        comes to control over the organ of sight...(the same for the other
        doorways).
        -------
        More can be said and discussed, but this is beyond the scope of this
        Pali list. For further discussion you could join: http://
        groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/