Re: [Pali] Re: Was the Buddha Obliged to Observe Vinaya Rules?, no 2.

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 22, 2009
      Dear Lennart,

      Ven, Ven. Katukurunde Ñāṇānanda's book is one of the most difficult I have read in English. I would be grateful if you would kindly give your understanding of  "papañca-saññā-saṅkhā" which I hope could help me to clarify my hazy ideas about the concept.

      Metta,
      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 27, 2009
        Dear Bryan,
        Op 24-dec-2009, om 12:45 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

        > N: Usually we pay attention to
        > >the outward appearance of things and the details and take them for
        > >real. That is a delusion, as we read in the suttas. We usually take
        > >concepts for realities.
        >
        > That was well put and is in fact the subject of a whole Mahāyāna
        > sūtra (the Saṃdhinirmocana Sūtra). Are you familiar with
        > anywhere in the Pāli scriptures where the Buddha discusses that, i.
        > e. our propensity to superimpose a concept on reality and take it
        > as real and permanent?
        -------
        N: M. sutta 27, Cuu.lahatthipadopamasutta.m:
        <So cakkhuunaa ruupa.m disvaa na nimittaggaahii hoti
        naanubya~njanaggaahii; yatvaadhikara.nam ena.m cakkhundriya.m
        sa.mvuta.m viharanta.m abhijjhaadomanassaa paapaka akusalaa dhammaa
        anvaassaveyu.m tassa sa.mvaraaya pa.tipajjati, rakkhati cakkhundriye
        sa.mvara.m aapajjati. Sotena sadda.m sutvaa- pe pe >

        PTS transl: <Having seen material shape with the eye, he is not
        entranced by the general appearance, he is not entranced by the
        detail. If he dwells with this organ of sight uncontrolled,
        covetousness and dejection, evil states of mind, might predominate.
        So he fares along controlling it; he guards the organ of sight, he
        comes to control over the organ of sight...(the same for the other
        doorways).
        -------
        More can be said and discussed, but this is beyond the scope of this
        Pali list. For further discussion you could join: http://
        groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/