[Pali] Dhammacakkappavattanasutta, no 14.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009

      intro:

      The way leading to the ceasing of dukkha, namely the eightfold
      Path, is the fourth noble truth. Also with regard to the fourth noble
      truth there are three phases or rounds. The first round is
      understanding what the development of this Path is, sacca ~naa.na.
      This is not theoretical understanding, but it pertains to the
      development of understanding of the dhamma appearing at this moment.
      Naama and ruupa, paramattha dhammas, are the objects of which
      understanding should be developed. These are different from concepts,
      and image of a �whole� of a person, of the body, of a thing.
      The second round is understanding of the task that has to be
      performed, the development of the eightfold Path, kicca ~naa.na.
      Kicca ~naa.na begins to develop when mindfulness and direct
      understanding arises of the dhammas that appear, such as seeing,
      colour, hearing, sound, attachment or generosity. They appear because
      of their own conditions and cannot be directed by a self.
      The third round is understanding of the task which has been
      performed, namely, the accomplishment of the development of the
      eightfold Path, kata ~naa.na.
      ---------------------------------------
      Text:
      'Ida.m dukkhanirodhagaaminii pa.tipadaa ariyasaccan'ti me, bhikkhave,
      pubbe ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m udapaadi, ~naa.na.m udapaadi,
      pa~n~naa udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi, aaloko udapaadi.
      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m dukkhanirodhagaaminii pa.tipadaa ariyasacca.m
      bhaavetabban'ti me, bhikkhave, pubbe ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m
      udapaadi, ~naa.na.m udapaadi, pa~n~naa udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi,
      aaloko udapaadi.
      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m dukkhanirodhagaaminii pa.tipadaa ariyasacca.m
      bhaavitan'ti me, bhikkhave, pubbe ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m
      udapaadi, ~naa.na.m udapaadi, pa~n~naa udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi,
      aaloko udapaadi.

      ----------
      'Ida.m /dukkhanirodha/ gaaminii / /pa.tipadaa/ ariyasaccan'ti
      'This /cessation of suffering/ leading to/ the way/ noble truth/

      This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering'

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      ---------
      'This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering':
      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      ----------

      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m/ dukkhanirodha/gaaminii pa.tipadaa ariyasacca.m
      Now this/ the cessation of suffering/leading to/ the way/ noble truth/
      bhaavetabban'ti
      ought to be developed':

      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering ought to be developed':

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      -----------
      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering ought to be developed': thus, monks, in regard to teachings
      not heard by me before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and
      illumination arose.
      -----------

      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m/ dukkhanirodha/gaaminii/ pa.tipadaa/
      'This / cessation of suffering/ leading to/ the way/
      ariyasacca.m/ bhaavitan'ti /
      noble truth/ has been developed/

      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering has been developed':

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.

      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering has been developed': thus, monks, in regard to teachings
      not heard by me before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and
      illumination arose.
      -------------
      'This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering': thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me
      before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      -------------------------------------
      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering ought to be developed': thus, monks, in regard to teachings
      not heard by me before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and
      illumination arose.
      'Now this noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of
      suffering has been developed': thus, monks, in regard to teachings
      not heard by me before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and
      illumination arose.
      N: There are different levels of pa~n~na: intellectual understanding
      based on listening to the Dhamma, and pa~n~na accompanied by sati
      that is directly aware of the characteristics of realities appearing
      at the present moment through one of the six doorways.
      There cannot be immediately clear understanding of realities, but we
      can begin to develop understanding of the realities we used to take
      for people, beings and things.

      *****