[Pali] Dhammacakkappavattanasutta, no 13,

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2009
      Dear friends,

      Dhammacakkappavattanasutta no 13.

      Intro: The ceasing of dukkha, namely nibbaana, is the third noble
      truth. Also with regard to the third noble truth there are three
      phases: understanding what the ceasing of dukkha is, sacca ~naa.na.
      Understanding of the task that has to be performed, the realization
      of nibbaana, kicca ~naa.na. Understanding of the task which has been
      performed, the realization of nibbaana, kata ~naa.na.

      We may begin to know when craving arises in daily life and see more
      the disadvantage of akusala. We can come to understand that nibbaana
      is the end of craving and of all defilements, even when we do not
      know this yet through direct experience.

      Kicca ~naa.na begins when awareness and right understanding is
      developed of all realities appearing through the six doors. This is
      the only way eventually to realize the cessation of dukkha.
      ------
      Sutta: 'Ida.m dukkhanirodha.m ariyasaccan'ti me, bhikkhave, pubbe
      ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m udapaadi, ~naa.na.m udapaadi, pa~n~naa
      udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi, aaloko udapaadi.
      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m dukkhanirodha.m ariyasacca.m sacchikaatabban'ti
      me, bhikkhave, pubbe ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m udapaadi,
      ~naa.na.m udapaadi, pa~n~naa udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi, aaloko udapaadi.
      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m dukkhanirodha.m ariyasacca.m sacchikatan'ti me,
      bhikkhave, pubbe ananussutesu dhammesu cakkhu.m udapaadi, ~naa.na.m
      udapaadi, pa~n~naa udapaadi, vijjaa udapaadi, aaloko udapaadi.
      -----------

      'Ida.m/ dukkhanirodha.m/ ariyasaccan'ti /
      'This/ cessation of suffering' /noble truth/

      'This is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering':

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      --------------

      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m/ dukkhanirodha.m/ ariyasacca.m/ sacchikaatabban'ti/
      'Now this/ cessation of suffering/ noble truth/ ought to be
      realized/

      'Now this noble truth of the cessation of suffering ought to be
      realized':

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      ---------

      'Ta.m kho pan'ida.m/ dukkhanirodha.m ariyasacca.m sacchikatan'ti
      'Now this/ cessation of suffering /noble truth/ has been realized':

      'Now this noble truth of the cessation of suffering has been realized':

      me/ bhikkhave/ pubbe/ ananussutesu/ dhammesu
      by me/monks/before/ not heard/ as to teachings/

      cakkhu.m/ udapaadi/~naa.na.m/ udapaadi/
      vision/ arose/ insight/ arose/

      pa~n~naa/ udapaadi/ vijjaa/ udapaadi/ aaloko/ udapaadi
      wisdom/ arose/ knowledge/ arose/ illumination/ arose

      thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight,
      knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.

      'Now this noble truth of the cessation of suffering has been
      realized': thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me
      before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      -------
      'This is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering': thus, monks,
      in regard to teachings not heard by me before, insight, knowledge,
      wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      'Now this noble truth of the cessation of suffering ought to be
      realized': thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me
      before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      'Now this noble truth of the cessation of suffering has been
      realized': thus, monks, in regard to teachings not heard by me
      before, insight, knowledge, wisdom, revelation, and illumination arose.
      --------------
      We read in the �Kindred Sayings� (IV, First Fifty, Ch III, 23-26)
      about the realities that should be understood in order to reach the
      goal. The sutta speaks about �the all�, and this is the eye and
      visible object, the ear and sound, the nose and odour, the tongue and
      flavour, the body and tangible object, the mind and the objects that
      can be experienced through the mind.
      We read in � 25: � I will teach you the Dhamma, monks, for the
      abandoning of the all, by fully knowing, by comprehending it. Do you
      listen to it. And what, monks, is the dhamma which leads to the
      abandoing of the all, by fully knowing, by comprehending it?
      The eyes, monks, must be abandoned by fully knowing, by comprehending
      it. Visible object... eye-consciousness...eye-contact... the
      pleasant, unpleasant or indifferent feeling arising because of eye-
      contact must be abandoned by fully knowing, by comprehending it....
      The same is said with regard to the other senses and the mind.�

      There cannot be the ceasing of dukkha without fully knowing, without
      comprehending the all, without abandoning it. By fully knowing the
      all there will be complete detachment from it and then there will be
      the ceasing of dukkha.
      The development of vipassana goes together with detachment, it leads
      to detachment. In the course of the stages of vipassana~naa.na there
      is more detachment from conditioned realities and a turning towards
      the unconditioned reality, nibbaana. There is a growing understanding
      of what the ceasing of dukkha, nibbaana, means.
      At enlightenment of the stage of the sotapanna the four noble Truths
      are penetrated, but the task is only fully completed at the
      attainment of arahatship.

      ******