Saddaniiti XXV: 871 (uttamapuriso)

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7 5:31 PM
      [Saddaniiti XXV: aakhyaatakappo : sutta 871, p. 812 (Smith's edn.)]

      871. amhe uttamo. amhe payujjamaanepi appayujjamaanepi
      tulyaadhikara.ne uttamapuriso hoti. aha.m yajaami, maya.m yajaama;
      yajaami, yajaama. tulyaadhikara.neti ki.m ? mayaa ijjate buddho.

      871. When "amha", the first. When "amha" having the same substratum is
      being used or not being used, there is the first person (termination).
      aha.m yajaami (I worship), maya.m yajaama (we worship); yajaami ((I)
      worship), yajaama ((we) worship). Why "tulyaadhikara.ne" (having the
      same substratum) ? mayaa ijjate buddho (the Buddha is worshipped by
      me).

      Notes:
      1) See the notes on Sd 870. They will help in explaining the
      present sutta.
      2) "ijjate" (is worshipped) is the 3rd person middle voice
      passive of "yajati". Sd 1015 (yajass' aadiss' i) p. 834 states that i
      is the substitute of the ya of yaj when the suffix ya follows, i.e.,
      yaj + ya + te > ij + ya + te > ijyate > ijjate (with assimilation of y
      to j in ijy-).

      Jim Anderson, 7 December 2009
      p.s. The next 8 suttas (Sd 872-9) will explain the uses of the present
      tense terminations.

      The Saddaniiti project page:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/saddaniti.00.cdv