Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti XXV: 869 (pa.thamapuriso)

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
      Venerable Pandita,
      Op 1-dec-2009, om 5:50 heeft ashinpan het volgende geschreven:

      > In the sentence "puriso bhatta.m pacati", "puriso" refers to a
      > particular man so that man is the substratum of "puriso". The verb
      > "pacati" refers to the action of that man, so he is also the
      > substratum of "pacati". Then "puriso" and "pacati" have the same
      > substratum.
      ------
      N: I do not understand the word substratum very well. Is it foundation?
      -------

      > On the contrary, in the sentence "purisena bhatta.m paciiyate", the
      > verb "paciiyate" refers to the effects that rice undergoes while
      > being cooked. So "paciiyate" has the same substratum as
      > "bhatta.m" (rice), not "purisena" (man).
      >
      > Then there is also another option possible. In the sentence
      > "purisena gaama.m gacchiiyate", the verb "gacchiiyate" indicates
      > the action in itself, so its substratum is neither that of
      > "purisena" (man) nor that of "gaama.m" (village). Such sentences
      > are called Absolute Voice ("bhaava") and rarely found in Pali texts.
      -------
      N: Looking at the locative paciiyate and gacchiiyate, is this a
      absolute locative , like in Latin an absolute ablative? It usually is
      in the genetive. But does the extra i not denote a passive?
      When (or because) the man cookes the rice, when (or because) the man
      goes to the village?
      With respect,

    • ashinpan
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
        Nina

        You wrote:

        > Venerable Pandita,
        > Op 1-dec-2009, om 5:50 heeft ashinpan het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > In the sentence "puriso bhatta.m pacati", "puriso" refers to a
        > > particular man so that man is the substratum of "puriso". The verb
        > > "pacati" refers to the action of that man, so he is also the
        > > substratum of "pacati". Then "puriso" and "pacati" have the same
        > > substratum.
        > ------
        > N: I do not understand the word substratum very well. Is it foundation?

        In classical Pali grammars, content is treated as the locus (location) of the language that refers to it. So "havin the same substratum" means that both "puriso" and "pacati" have the same location, i.e., the same referent.

        > N: Looking at the locative paciiyate and gacchiiyate, is this a
        > absolute locative , like in Latin an absolute ablative? It usually is
        > in the genetive. But does the extra i not denote a passive?
        > When (or because) the man cookes the rice, when (or because) the man
        > goes to the village?

        Both these words are not nouns but only conjugated passive verbs with 3rd pers. sing. attanopada endings.

        with metta

        Ven. Pandita
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
          Venerable Pandita,
          Thank you very much, it is clear now. Warder lesson 28 deals with the
          reflexive or middle conjugation, attanopada.

          With respect,
          Nina.
          Op 2-dec-2009, om 7:43 heeft ashinpan het volgende geschreven: