[Pali] Dhammacakkappavattanasutta, no 8.

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2009
      Dhammacakkappavattanasutta:
      -----------
      Ida.m kho pana, bhikkhave, dukkhasamudaya.m ariyasacca.m - yaaya.m
      ta.nhaa ponobbhavikaa, nandiraagasahagataa tatratatraabhinandinii,
      seyyathida.m, - kaamata.nhaa, bhavata.nhaa, vibhavata.nhaa.
      -------------
      Ida.m kho pana/, bhikkhave/, dukkhasamudaya.m/ ariyasacca.m/
      Now this indeed/, monks,/ origin of suffering / noble truth /

      - yaaya.m ta.nhaa/ ponobbhavikaa/, nandiraaga/ /
      sahagataa/
      which (is) this craving/ leading to rebirth/, passionate delight/,
      connected/

      tatratatra/ / abhinandinii,/ seyyathida.m,/ - kaamata.nhaa/,
      here and there /finding pleasure,/ namely/ /craving for
      sensual pleasures/

      bhavata.nhaa/, vibhavata.nhaa./
      craving for existence/, craving for non-existence.

      Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: this
      very craving leading to rebirth, connected with passionate delight,
      finding pleasure here and there, namely: craving for sensual
      pleasures, craving for existence, and craving for non-existence.
      -----------------------------
      Ida.m kho pana, bhikkhave, dukkhanirodha.m ariyasacca.m - yo
      tassaayeva ta.nhaaya asesaviraaganirodho, caago, pa.tinissaggo,
      mutti, anaalayo.
      --------------------
      Ida.m kho pana, /bhikkhave,/dukkhanirodha.m / ariyasacca.m/
      - This indeed now/ /
      monks/, cessation of suffering/ noble truth/

      yo tassaayeva/ ta.nhaaya/ asesa/ /viraaga/ /nirodho/,
      which of this / of craving, / complete / fading away /cessation

      caago/, /pa.tinissaggo/, mutti/, anaalayo/.
      giving up/ forsaking / / freedom/ non-attachment /

      Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering:
      the complete fading away and cessation of this very craving, the
      giving up and forsaking of it, freedom from it, and non-attachment to
      it.
      -----------------------------------
      N: We can find out that attachment arises countless times, more often
      than we ever thought. From morning until night we are seeking things
      for ourselves, also at this moment.
      Do we not want comfort, freedom from pain? We are hungry and are
      seeking food. All the time we want things for ourselves. This seeking
      and trying to get things keep us in the cycle of birth and death. We
      cling to the idea of self: when we are seeing, hearing or thinking
      there may be an idea of self who does so. When we realise this more
      in our life we can also acquire some idea of what freedom from such
      craving could be, the third noble Truth.
    • Peter Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2009
        Thanks for this,
        Although my Pali studies are sporadic at best, these words inspire me to take practice more seriously.
        Pete Tomlinson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
          Dear Peter,
          thanks. Anybody is welcome to add to the discussion with questions,
          remarks.
          Nina.
          Op 16-nov-2009, om 18:15 heeft Peter Tomlinson het volgende geschreven: