The New Pali Course Part III [18/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 8, 2009
      [18/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables

      (b) katha`nkara, how acting.

      (c) katha.mvidha, what sort of?

      (d) kathambhuuta, of what sort?

      (e) katha.mjiivii, leading what kind of life?

      66. kadaa, when?
      kadaa ci, sometimes; seldom
      kadaa ci kadaa ci, from time to time
      na kadaa ci, never

      "Na kotthuko siihasamo kadaa ci." [S.i,66]

      A jackal is never the lion's equal.

      67. karahaci, at some time
      kadaaci karahaci, at some time or other; very seldom

      "Hoti so, bhikkhave, samayo ya.m kadaaci karahaci diighassa addhuno accayena dutiyo suriyo paatubhavati." [A.iv,100] "Monks, there comes a time, when in some age, at the end of some vast period, a second sun appears."

      68. kaama.m, indeed, certainly

      "Kaama.m cajaama Asuresu paa.na.m;
      Maa me dijaa vikulaavaa ahesu.m." [J.i,198-206]

      Certainly we must leave our lives in the hands of the Asuras, and let these birds not go without their nests.

      69. ki~nca, rather; why not

      "A~n~ne pi devo poseti, ki~nca devo saka.m paja.m?" [Ka.t.thahaarii-Jaataka]

      Why should the king not bring up his own progeny, while he brings up many others?

      70. ki~ncaapi, whatever; although

      "Ki~ncaapi pacchimo kaalo, phuseyya amata.m pada.m." [Theg.v.947]

      Even though it is the last period (of life), he may yet attain the Deathless State.

      71. ki~nci, something (see no. 5A of the Examples Group 4)

      72. kinti, how then; whether

      "So tesa.m bhogaana.m aarakkhaadhikara.na.m dukkha.m domanassa.m pa.tisa.mvedeti: Kinti me bhoge n'eva raajaano hareyyu.m... ti" [M.i,86] On account of protecting those possessions he becomes troubled in his mind (with the thought): "Whether these my things would not be taken forcibly by kings...".

      73. kima`nga, far more; far less

      "Mahallakassa hi attano hattha-paadaa pi anassavaa honti... kima`nga pana ~naatakaa." [DhA.i,7] Even his own limbs are not to be controlled by an old man, far less his relations.

      74. kittaavataa, how far? to what extent? in what respect?

      "Kittaavataa nu kho bhante upaasako hotii ti?" [S.V.395] Pray, Lord, in what respect does one become a disciple?

      75. kira, really; truly; I should think (It connects new points in a narrative and refers to a report by hearsay.)

      "Ja.tilassa kira gehe bhuumi.m bhinditvaa suva.n.napabbato u.t.thito ti sutvaa." [DhA.iv.216] (The king) having heard that a mountain of gold had arisen, rending the earth asunder, in the Ja.tila's house.

      76. ki.m, what
      ki.m su, what; which

      (a) "Atha na.m Satthaa: Ki.m, bhikkhu, naalattha tva.m tattha vaasan ti pucchi." [DhA.i,294] The Teacher asked him: What, O monk, were you not allowed to live there?

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.