Re: The New Pali Course Part III [17/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 8, 2009

      thank you for the corrections, suggestions and additional information.

      Ya.m so vadati ta.m tath'eva hoti.
      He says that which is true indeed. (literally)

      note: tatha (adj) true.

      > "Ya.m so vadati ta.m tath'eva hoti." [DhA.iii,45]
      > YP: "He tells him who is not differnt."

      N: What he says is true indeed.

      > "Evam eva tuva.m, Maara, aasajja na.m Tathaagata.m Saya.m
      > dahissas'aattaana.m baalo aggi.m va samphusa.m." [Theg.v.1205]
      > Having attacked such a person, Maara, thou wilt burn thyself
      > just like a child playing with fire.

      {YP: the above English was from the book.}

      N: Having attacked the "Thus-gone" (the Buddha), Maara, just in the same way you will burn yourself like a child playing with fire.
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30 7:19 AM
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.