Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti XXV: 868

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
      Dear Mahinda,

      There is quite a bit more commentary on Kc 409 one could investigate
      and think about that might help us to better understand Sd 868 and
      "ekaabhidhaane" such as the Kaccaayanasuttaniddesa,
      Kaccaayanava.n.nanaa, and the Nyaasa with its two .tiikaas but that
      will have to be left for another time.

      Currently, I have some other more pressing work to do and don't have a
      lot of time left to do much research on the next few suttas (869-871)
      which are almost the same as Kc 410-412. Aggava.msa seems to be
      following Kaccaayana quite closely, at least for the beginning suttas
      of this chapter. I hope to have something posted soon on Sd 869 (naame
      payujjamaanepi tulyaadhikara.ne pa.thamo) but I don't think I'll be
      able to translate "tulyaadhikara.ne" which is connected to "naame" (a
      substantive or pronoun other than tumha and amha). Aggava.msa's
      commentary is terse and this makes it necessary to investigate other
      grammatical commentaries for more information.

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      << The meaning of tulya- and bhinna- adhikara.na that I am familiar
      with is the one that is used with reference to adjectives. An adj.
      which agrees with its substantive in number, gender and case (e.g.,
      'setaani' in "setaani padumaani") is aclled a "tulyaadhikara.na
      visesa.na". On the other hand an adjective or a word doing an
      adjectival function, but does not agree in the above-mentioned manner
      (e.g. 'assakassa' in "assakassa visaye": "in the region of Assaka") is
      called a "bhinnaadhikara.na vises.na". Let us see how these words
      occur in the next sutta of Saddaniiti.
      Best wishes.

      Mahinda >>
    • Mahinda Palihawadana
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2009
        On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

        > Dear Mahinda,
        >
        > There is quite a bit more commentary on Kc 409 one could investigate
        > and think about that might help us to better understand Sd 868 and
        > "ekaabhidhaane" ...

        The Sinhala 'sanne' text on Kaccaayana 411 explains 'ekaabhidhaane'
        decisively. Its comment can be translated as follows:"When expressed as a
        single statement with a single verb".
        It also takes this as a "paribhaasaa sutta", a rule that teaches the proper
        interpretation or application of another rule. So does the Ruupasiddhi.

        Mahinda