Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti XXV: 868

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
      Dear Jim,

      Thanks. Yes, I think we have not yet hit upon an acceptable translation for
      'ekaabhdhaane'. None of the suggestions I made were meant to be accurate
      translations, only broad hints at what I thought was the meaning.

      The reason why these suttas are difficult is the tendency of the authors,
      who clearly follow the style and methods of the Sanskrit grammarians, to go
      to such lengths to state a rule concisely. There s a saying that to a
      'suutra-kaara' the reduction of a syllable is as great a joy as the birth of
      a son. Packing so much meaning into 'eka' looks like a result of this
      fondness for abbreviation.

      The meaning of tulya- and bhinna- adhikara.na that I am familiar with is the
      one that is used with reference to adjectives. An adj. which agrees with its
      substantive in number, gender and case (e.g., 'setaani' in "setaani
      padumaani") is aclled a "tulyaadhikara.na visesa.na". On the other hand an
      adjective or a word doing an adjectival function, but does not agree in the
      above-mentioned manner (e.g. 'assakassa' in "assakassa visaye": "in the
      region of Assaka") is called a "bhinnaadhikara.na vises.na". Let us see how
      these words occur in the next sutta of Saddaniiti.
      Best wishes.

      Mahinda

      On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

      > Dear Mahinda,
      >
      > Thank-,ou. I very much appreciate your contribution to the discussion
      > of Sd 868 and the time and effort you have taken to investigate
      > further with the help of the Ruupasiddhi. I think you've dealt
      > adequately with the difficulties of the wording in the sutta athough
      > questions still remain in my mind about 'ekaabhidhaane'. But enough
      > has been said for now and it is time to set aside these lingering
      > questions for later. It does seem though that many (if not all) the
      > grammatical suttas present some degree of difficulty. The next 3
      > suttas relate to the personal endings as well which I have started to
      > look at but here again I'm running into trouble with the term
      > 'tulyaadhikara.ne' just like with 'ekaabhidhaane'.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > << The analysis of 'ekaabhidhaane' as "ekatobhidhāne kātabbe" (when a
      > unified
      > statement has to be made) clears up the problem as regards that word.
      >
      > The idea of constancy of tense cannot really be got out of 'eka' in
      > 'ekaabhidhaane'. I think it is a projection of the idea of oneness
      > from
      > person to tense. Its necessity, however, is apparent in it being
      > endorsed by
      > Buddhappiya the erudite author of Ruupasiddhi of the Kaccaayana
      > tradition.. >>

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
        Dear Mahinda,

        There is quite a bit more commentary on Kc 409 one could investigate
        and think about that might help us to better understand Sd 868 and
        "ekaabhidhaane" such as the Kaccaayanasuttaniddesa,
        Kaccaayanava.n.nanaa, and the Nyaasa with its two .tiikaas but that
        will have to be left for another time.

        Currently, I have some other more pressing work to do and don't have a
        lot of time left to do much research on the next few suttas (869-871)
        which are almost the same as Kc 410-412. Aggava.msa seems to be
        following Kaccaayana quite closely, at least for the beginning suttas
        of this chapter. I hope to have something posted soon on Sd 869 (naame
        payujjamaanepi tulyaadhikara.ne pa.thamo) but I don't think I'll be
        able to translate "tulyaadhikara.ne" which is connected to "naame" (a
        substantive or pronoun other than tumha and amha). Aggava.msa's
        commentary is terse and this makes it necessary to investigate other
        grammatical commentaries for more information.

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 2009
          On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

          > Dear Mahinda,
          >
          > There is quite a bit more commentary on Kc 409 one could investigate
          > and think about that might help us to better understand Sd 868 and
          > "ekaabhidhaane" ...

          The Sinhala 'sanne' text on Kaccaayana 411 explains 'ekaabhidhaane'
          decisively. Its comment can be translated as follows:"When expressed as a
          single statement with a single verb".
          It also takes this as a "paribhaasaa sutta", a rule that teaches the proper
          interpretation or application of another rule. So does the Ruupasiddhi.

          Mahinda