Re: why warrior is the best clan RE: SV: +AFs-Pali+AF0- Re: Buddhist Imprimatur?

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      Piya Tan wrote:

      Apparently k.shatriya is related to satrap, satrapy, etc, a term used in
      the
      Indo-Greek kingdoms of NW India.

      Satrap is the Greek form of the Persian term +ACI-x+AWE-a+A7g-ra-p+AQE-van+ACI-, meaning
      something like +ACI-protector of the realm / province+ACI-, hence a kind of regional
      ruler or governor The first part of the Persian term is cognate with Skt
      +ACI-k+HmM-etra+ACI-.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
        Dear Stephen,

        Good to hear from you, and in good health, too.

        The Greek is not readable, Stephen. Not sure how to make it readable.

        Anyway, I have found the etymology of satrap from OED, and it is attached.
        If this attachment does not come through, anyone who wants it pls mail me
        directly.

        Best wishes,

        Piya

        On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...
        > wrote:

        > Piya Tan wrote:
        >
        > Apparently k.shatriya is related to satrap, satrapy, etc, a term used
        > in
        > the
        > Indo-Greek kingdoms of NW India.
        >
        > Satrap is the Greek form of the Persian term
        > +ACI-x+AWE-a+A7g-ra-p+AQE-van+ACI-, meaning
        > something like +ACI-protector of the realm / province+ACI-, hence a kind of
        > regional
        > ruler or governor The first part of the Persian term is cognate with Skt
        > +ACI-k+HmM-etra+ACI-.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Stephen Hodge
        >

        > ------------------------------------

        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644
        Tel: 8211 0879
        Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
          Sorry to come in late on this but my understanding of why
          the Buddha stated that the warrior caste is best is that he
          was stating a simple fact.
          In other words, the caste order of today with the Brahmins
          at the top did not exist at that time.
          In the Buddha's day the social convention held the warrior
          caste to be the highest. Quite simple really.

          Paul O'Cuana