Re: [Pali] GREATEST DISCOVERY IN PALI "Buddhism's Highest Revelation"

  • Bruce Burrill
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
      At 10:34 AM 7/25/01 +0800, you wrote:
      >dear friends
      >
      >upon glancing through the email on "Buddhism's Highest Revelation",
      >i find the content highly controversial.
      >if you are new to Buddhism, please read it with a pinch of salt.

      I would recommend a tablespoon of salt and a dose of Nagarjuna.

      >once i get the chance, i will inform Bhante Dhammaratana of this
      >matter and seek his opinion.
      >
      >warmest regards
      >shiongwei

    • Rosati
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
        > Every Being possesses a deathless Essence (Atta’: True Self, Spirit,
        > that which transcends on, either to painful rebirth or to Nibbatta’),

        Excuse me, where does it say this in the Nikayas. I must have missed it.

        > **Tatha’gata [(Tathan.) Tatta+San.(Samma’)+gata]

        Thats some creative etymology dude. With methods like these you could prove
        that Tathagata means cucumber.

        Dante
      • Rosati
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
          > im a Docotrate in Buddhology

          which university gives out Docorates in Buddology?

          just wondering.....

          Dante
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
            Yes, please do so.

            once i get the chance, i will inform Bhante Dhammaratana of this
            matter and seek his opinion.

            warmest regards
            shiongwei

          • Moderator, Pali List
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
              Dear kenw,

              please do not send passages by Ven. Shakya Aryanatta or Darkstar Publications anymore. Your cooperation will be very much appreciated.

              Metta,
              Moderator, Pali
              Pali-owner@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
                I have to point out that the very notion of a "True Self" is very much a Hindu concept and seriously non-buddhist. The entire passage is like a Hindu interpretation of Buddhist doctrine!

                The Noble Eightfold Path has to be understood in the context of:
                1. The Four Noble Truths
                2. The Middle Way
                3. Dependent Origination

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2001
                  At 12:19 AM 7/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
                  >I would recommend a tablespoon of salt and a dose of Nagarjuna.<><><><><
                  >
                  >Nagarjuna is no more of an expert in Pali then myself...
                  >
                  >how can you make such an OBTUSE remark which is unsupported?

                  I'm just an obtuse kinda guy, but you are not winning friends and
                  influencing people with your approach.

                  What you have presented is interesting, but not all that novel.

                  Let us put it this way: I am here for a discussion of Pali, an interesting
                  rich language. I appreciate that you shared the information about this
                  book, but you are making no points here with your true believer act. While
                  I may disagree with the venerable author's conclusions and much of his
                  argumentation as has been presented in the stuff you uploaded for us, I
                  don't think this is the place to dissect the book. As for Nagarjuna, he was
                  obviously a master of Sanskrit, and of the extant prakrits, Pali is not
                  that far removed.

                  Be that as it may, I shall obtusely blunder on, ignoring any further
                  discussion of this subject.
                • Rosati
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 25, 2001
                    I asked you two simple questions:

                    1) Where is the Nikayas does it say that "Every Being possesses a deathless
                    Essence (Atta’: True Self, Spirit,
                    that which transcends on, either to painful rebirth or to Nibbatta’)?

                    2)Where did you receive your "Doctorate in Buddhology" from?

                    If there is an actual answer to #2, then you should be able to deal with #1
                    also (except for the small hitch that I don't think the Nikayas say any such
                    thing. Is that perhaps why you do not answer?)

                    Dante

                  • Bruce Burrill
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 25, 2001
                      Dante,

                      My suggestion: ignore our problem child and he or she will eventually go
                      away. There is no talking with a True Believer.