Saddaniti/Saddaniiti Volume V (Helmer Smith/PTS 2001)

  • yongpeng.ong
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
      Dear Jim and friends,

      I am holding a copy of Vol. V now, as part of my PTS membership. ;-)

      Volume V starts on page 1173, and is named Padaruupasuucii (Index Verborum). A vocabulary list? I have a feeling that this is a good resource, only if someone can explain further, in particular how it relates to the other four volumes in Smith's edition, and if it is part of the original Pali text. Thank you.

      Further, I just learnt that the book Pali Roots in Saddaniti, by Ven. U Silananda, is available online here: http://www.btmar.org/files/pdf/dhatu.pdf. Just not sure of any copyright issues, even though this book is already in free circulation.

    • George Bedell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
        Yong Peng,

        Volume V of Helmer Smith's edition of Saddaniiti is not part of the text as
        written by Aggava.msa. It is an index (or concordance) listing every
        word which appears in the text. The same is true of Volume IV, which
        contains lists of citations (locorum) suttas (aphorismorum), roots
        (radicum), affixes (formantium), and technical terms (terminorum).
        All of these were compiled by Smith to aid readers of Saddaniiti (due
        to Smith's death, the entries in Volume V after p 1694 were finished
        by Nils Simonsson on the basis of Smith's notes). They are indeed
        useful.

        George B

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "yongpeng.ong" <palismith@...> wrote:

        > Dear Jim and friends,
        >
        > I am holding a copy of Vol. V now, as part of my PTS membership. ;-)
        >
        > Volume V starts on page 1173, and is named Padaruupasuucii (Index Verborum). A vocabulary list? I have a feeling that this is a good resource, only if someone can explain further, in particular how it relates to the other four volumes in Smith's edition, and if it is part of the original Pali text. Thank you.
        >
        > Further, I just learnt that the book Pali Roots in Saddaniti, by Ven. U Silananda, is available online here: http://www.btmar.org/files/pdf/dhatu.pdf. Just not sure of any copyright issues, even though this book is already in free circulation.
        >

        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.

      • yongpeng.ong
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009