the distributive suffix -so

  • jayarava
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
      I'm looking for examples of the use of this rare form: the distributive -so (= Sanskrit -śas). The one example I have is from Vin ii.139 "... buddhavacanaṃ chandaso āropetabbaṃ." Where K.R. Norman thinks chandaso is not a genitive of chandas, but this form of distributive: 'according to desire'; J Brough suggests 'according to the meters'.

      Duroielle (p.127) gives atthaso - "according to the sense".

      Other examples of this kind of use would be useful.

      Thanks
      Jayarava
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2009
        Dear Jayarava,

        I've just checked the Saddaniiti. The distributive use (vibhaagatthe) of -so
        is included under Sd 838 (aakaara-pakaara-vibhaaga-kevalatatiyesu so). Only
        one example is given there for the distributive use: 'suttaso' (=
        suttavibhaagena). Other similar examples from elsewhere (Kc 397):
        vya~njanaso padaso. For examples of other uses:

        aakaaratthe: sabbaso (= sabbaakaarena)
        pakaaratthe: bahuso (= bahuuhi pakaarehi)
        kevalatatiyatthe: upaayaso (= upaayena); hetuso (= hetunaa); yoniso (=
        ~naayena); .thaanaso (= ta.mkha.nen'eva)

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        I'm looking for examples of the use of this rare form: the distributive -so
        (= Sanskrit -Å>as). The one example I have is from Vin ii.139 "...
        buddhavacanaá¹f chandaso āropetabbaá¹f." Where K.R. Norman thinks chandaso
        is not a genitive of chandas, but this form of distributive: 'according to
        desire'; J Brough suggests 'according to the meters'.

        Duroielle (p.127) gives atthaso - "according to the sense".

        Other examples of this kind of use would be useful.

        Thanks
        Jayarava

      • jayarava
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2009
          Thanks Jim I can see better how it words now.

          Yoniso is an obvious one! Makes you reconsider what yoniso-manasikara might mean though!

          Jayarava.

          PS Seems like my Unicode characters did not make it through the Yahoo processing - apologies I'll stick to Velthius in future.