Re: Saddaniiti Chapter 1 (8)

  • ypong001
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 21, 2009
      Dear Nina,

      thanks for iccaaneka. As for kaara.na.m, cause/reason is appropriate, but that is from what we have read so far. I suggest we proceed with the text to have better understanding.

      > Pa.ticca kaara.na.m ta.m ta.m,
      > Due to various causes...

      Can we not just keep cause for kaara.na instead of function?

      > Y.P.: Iccaanekavidhesu paccayesu "vikara.napaccayaa naama ime"ti
      > sallakkhetabbaa.
      > Among the various forms (of) verbal suffixes,

      N: Iccaaneka: iti aaneka: here among the various forms...
    • ypong001
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 22, 2009
        Dear Jim,

        thank you. I should have written '...I originally guessed it to mean "subject proper"'. Of course, that is based on how I understood the verse at that time, then (and even now) without knowledge of the rest of the content.

        I could have put ??? for it, but then I would be putting ??? in every other line. So, I would rather put in my humble suggestion, and leave it open for comments.

        ettha pariccheda-p-padese attho aacariyena kappiiyati paricchijjiiyaiti
        here, the meaning is prepared (defined) and resolved by the teacher within a bounded range.

        It looks like we will only find out what the chapters Namakappa and Akhyatakappa contain till we get to it. Stay tuned? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        > The word kappa literally means rule, but I originally thought it
        > to mean "subject proper".

        Kappa has several meanings. In the first introductory verse of Kaccaayana there is the word 'susandhikappa.m" at the end. The Nyaasa (Mmd p. 4) gives the following nibbacana on 'kappa' which is along the lines of Aggava.msa's nibbacana on 'paccayaa' :

        kappiiyati etthaati kappo. It is circumscribed or delimited at this place, thus it is 'kappa'.

        The .tiikaa (Mmd-p.t p. 24) glosses 'kappiiyati' with 'paricchijjiiyati' in the following comment:

        kappiiyati etthaati kappoti ettha paricchedappadese attho aacariyena kappiiyati paricchijjiiyaiti yasmaa, iti tasmaa kappo.

        I don't fully grasp this comment nor the one before but it suggests to me an area where the subject-matter is circumscrbed or marked out by the teacher.

        Of course we could go further and investigate and compare other meanings of kappa (e.g your rule) but I think this is enough.
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 22, 2009
          Dear Yong Peng,

          > ettha pariccheda-p-padese attho aacariyena kappiiyati
          paricchijjiiyaiti
          > here, the meaning is prepared (defined) and resolved by the teacher
          within a bounded range.

          I would translate it as:

          Here, in this division-place, the subject-matter is cut, is defined by
          the teacher.

          > It looks like we will only find out what the chapters Namakappa and
          Akhyatakappa contain till we get to it. Stay tuned? ;-)

          Much of the material in the AAkhyaatakappa is discussed in the first 2
          paricchedas of the Padamaalaa. The main difference is that the
          material is laid out in the form of rules, usually with a commentary
          and examples, .in the AAkhyaatakappa.

          H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti can be used as an encyclopedic
          reference manual. About half of it is filled with tables and indices
          that enable one to look up items in the main text such as roots and
          suffixes. This is how I've been able to make good use of the text but
          this edition of three thick volumes, available from PTS, is expensive.

          Best wishes,
          Jim
        • ypong001
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 22, 2009
            Dear Mahinda,

            thank you for sharing your personal reflection. There is no doubt Pali is influenced by classical Sanskrit, which was the scholarly and religious language of ancient Brahmanical India.

            As to whether the study of classical Sanskrit is necessary for Pali students, and if so when, I think is an academic matter. It is almost like asking if a student of Sinhala should also study Sanskrit, and if so at what age. We shall not push for it on this list, but leave it to the individual member to pursue as an additional 'bondage', to use your word.

            On the other hand, we will definitely continue with our readings of the suttas and Saddaniti and other Pali readers.

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Mahinda Palihawadana wrote:

            One has to become familiar with the ways of expression of these texts. Language of post-canonical texts is an almost dialectal variation of the Pali of Sutta and Vinaya texts. Most of the authors knew classical Sanskrit, even refer to it (as "sakkate: in Sanskrit" or "sakkata-ganthesu: in Skt texts"). The Kaccaayana grammar for example definitely follows Paanini, as James De Alwis pointed out long ago. Many commentaries, especially those of Dhammapala, often take recourse to the 'debating style' adopted by Sanskrit commentators.

            So, what can one do? One has to read these texts. Perhaps in bits, not large chunks at a time. You are doing that. You are reading from the Suttas to become familiar with those texts. And now this Saddaniiti, a very different terrain. Specially for these texts, it helps to be able to break up a word into all its constituent parts. Ex. aṭṭhivācakatte(pi) = aṭṭhi+vāc+aka+tta+i_(api). How does one identify these elements? There is no short cut. One has to learn the stems, roots, affixes. One who enjoys maths might like it. That's the other tool , a compatible frame of mind.
          • gdbedell
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
              Friends,

              Mahinda deserves our gratitude for his forthright assessment last week of the state of the Saddaniiti project:

              > I am sorry to say that I don't think we are making much progress in this
 venture. It is
              > not possible to translate (i.e., understand) this kind of text unless one (gradually) gets
              > used to the peculiar idiom found in Indian
 grammatical and exegetical works. Saddaniti > is just too difficult for anyone
 who is not familiar with this idiom. Even the
              > Baalaavataara, which is meant
 for the 'baala' (children, i.e., beginners) is not all that
              > easy to
 translate. I think however, things might have been less intricate had we
 first
              > gone through that text and become familiar with the idiom. Or, doing
 a systematic
              > study of any commentary could have helped, since the exegetical
 vocabulary is
              > somewhat akin to the grammatical. The vocabulary and style of
 Pali grammatical texts
              > are heavily influenced by the corresponding texts
 written for Sanskrit grammar.

              > Contributing to the present discussion of the Saddaniiti is, at least for
 me, a tiring and > unproductive effort. Please forgive me for saying this. I
 would be glad if the experience > of others who are more patient than me is
 different.

              I agree with Mahinda that we are not making much progress, and it not just that the going is slow, but also that the result (so far, at least) is not an accurate and readable translation that might be of use to others. I also feel that `contributing to the present discussion of the Saddaniiti is ... a tiring and unproductive effort.' In my case that feeling is not based so much on the material that others have posted, as on my own efforts to continue the translation of pariccheda 2 that I started in January. I think this must be the `third thread' which Yong Peng said `did not start'. That does not seem a very fair statement, since the amount of text I covered (37 lines in Smith's edition) in my one post is roughly the same as what he has covered in all eight of his (40 lines). It is true that there wasn't much discussion of my translation, but I would like to think that is because little was called for. If anyone wishes to know why I have not continued posting, the answer is simple: my Pali is not adequate. I do not fully understand the following definitions of vibhatti or the discussion of noun and verb forms which lack them. It is impossible for me (not to mention pointless) to translate a text which I do not understand. The throw-enough-mud-against-the-wall-and-some-of-it-is-bound-to-stick method does not strike me as very effective in translation.

              We find the Saddaniiti difficult not because it is `advanced Pali' but because (i) it was written at least a thousand years after the Tipitaka in another country and another culture and (ii) it belongs to a highly specialized and technical genre: grammar. The majority of Pali reference works (dictionaries and grammars) were compiled to be used in reading the Tipitaka, and did not put much (if any) effort into medieval technical prose. Mahinda is right that we need to beome familiar with this variety of the language. He is also right about the role of Sanskrit and Sanskrit grammar in understanding Aggava.msa. This point is quite separate from any help a knowledge of Sanskrit might provide in learning Pali. The Pali grammars were written by people who were familiar with Sanskrit and Sanskrit grammar, and who were trying to show that Pali could be analyzed in the same way. Their work cannot be understood out of that context. So I am disappointed that Mahinda's remarks have not been taken very seriously.

              George
            • ypong001
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
                Dear George and friends,

                thank you for your feedback.

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, gdbedell wrote:

                > I agree with Mahinda that we are not making much progress, and it not just that the going is slow, but also that the result (so far, at least) is not an accurate and readable translation that might be of use to others.

                Allow me to say that what we doing is unconventional. For a typical translation be published, it would be going through several rounds of drafts, proof-readings, and revisions, before it sees daylight. Here, we are only making the first draft, and purely for the purpose of group discussion and self-discovery.

                > I think this must be the `third thread' which Yong Peng said 'did not start'.

                > The throw-enough-mud-against-the-wall-and-some-of-it-is-bound-to-stick method does not strike me as very effective in translation.

                Rome was not built in a day.

                Translation is never an easy task. I know that some may prefer we work on something which has already been translated, as we do now for AN (not its commentary, or something not yet available in English). I thought people would appreciate that Saddaniiti is of a different genre, and a different mindset can be acquired in this project, that we be less conscious of making mistakes.

                > We find the Saddaniiti difficult not because it is `advanced Pali' but because (i) it was written at least a thousand years after the Tipitaka in another country and another culture and (ii) it belongs to a highly specialized and technical genre: grammar. The majority of Pali reference works (dictionaries and grammars) were compiled to be used in reading the Tipitaka, and did not put much (if any) effort into medieval technical prose. Mahinda is right that we need to beome familiar with this variety of the language. He is also right about the role of Sanskrit and Sanskrit grammar in understanding Aggava.msa. This point is quite separate from any help a knowledge of Sanskrit might provide in learning Pali. The Pali grammars were written by people who were familiar with Sanskrit and Sanskrit grammar, and who were trying to show that Pali could be analyzed in the same way. Their work cannot be understood out of that context. So I am disappointed that Mahinda's remarks have not been taken very seriously.

                I have been highlighting that Saddaniti is a classical grammar, and had also pointed out a grammar is a different genre, a technical text for language study. I have also provided a brief background of Saddaniti and its author Aggavamsa, including the time and place the text was written. In addition, I consider Saddaniti an advance text, as I similarly consider Kaccayana and Moggallana.

                I had offered to stop Saddaniti and let Mahinda run us through Balavatara. I thought that is a constructive move. Otherwise, we will have to progress with Saddaniti. I do not see how we can become familiar with classical grammars without getting our hands dirty. But, that doesn't mean we can just throw mud against the wall.

                As for classical Sanskrit, I am all with Mahinda's remarks. The two languages are closely related, and we can comfortably discuss similarities and differences. Still, we have to rely on members who have that knowledge for assistance. Our group focus is on Pali, and we are not abandoning that just yet.

                I hope this would generate some ideas how we can improve our group discussions, particularly on Saddaniti.

              • Jim Anderson
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
                  Dear Yong Peng and others,

                  > I hope this would generate some ideas how we can improve our group
                  discussions, particularly on Saddaniti.

                  My suggestion would be, that when one comes up against a passage that
                  is too difficult to translate, to leave it untransalted and to explain
                  what one does make of it and point out the difficulty. If one doesn't
                  understand it, it is certainly going to show in a translation.
                  Pretending to understand it is counter-productive. We have to be
                  honest about it and not be afraid to admit our lack of knowledge.

                  I would also suggest that in addition to work on the 1st pariccheda
                  that a start be made soon on the 25th pariccheda, the aakhyaatakappa.
                  The concise sutta style is very different from the verbose style of
                  the 1st pariccheda. I wouldn't mind making a start on this kappa by
                  posting 1 sutta a week. At that rate it would take 5 years to go
                  through all 249 suttas unless others chip in to speed things up.

                  Learning Pali takes a lot of hard work and perseverance. There is no
                  easy way. One reason why the project is moving so slow is the low
                  interest (globally) in traditional Pali grammar and the fact that so
                  very few are willing or able to put in the time and effort needed to
                  learn it.

                  Best wishes,
                  Jim
                • ypong001
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 24, 2009
                    Dear Jim and friends,

                    thank you, Jim. I hope our group's little work has not upset some bigger ego out there.

                    I hope to address some of the concerns which were raised over the last few posts.

                    I like to say that "pretending to understand" is different from "trying to understand". I do not claim to be an expert in classical Pali grammar. And, this is not the first occasion I spend time typing something like this, but I shall make it the last. If people do not like how we conduct our discussions, it does not bother me anymore.

                    As George noted, it took me 8 posts to cover 40 lines, when it took him just one post to cover 37 lines. If I had left them untranslated, I could have covered 40 lines in one post, and we would be completing the first chapter in no time. However, this is not a commercial project with some dateline. The moving is slow not because of any of the reasons anyone has listed so far. I am the only one making the postings for chapter 1, and I am still trying to get use to the style, so I set the pace.

                    Each post, I give my best attempt to provide a good rendering. The last post was even a rework of the previous, as I would also do for some of the sutta translations, when I believe that I did not get most of the text right the first time. I am abhorred if that is being misconstrued as "pretending to understand".

                    After this episode, I have decided to take a break for as long as a year, which I hope to catch up on other stuff. So, I will stop further postings of the 1st pariccheda for the next twelve months.

                    Jim, I am grateful for your assistance so far, and I am glad that you offer to start the 25th pariccheda, which isn't available on CSCD, meaning that you would have to type out the text.

                    I do not have the text, but I like to make an appeal to everyone to consider helping Jim with the typing.

                    Thank you.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 24, 2009
                      Dear Yong Peng,

                      > Each post, I give my best attempt to provide a good rendering. The
                      last post was even a rework of the previous, as I would also do for
                      some of the sutta translations, when I believe that I did not get most
                      of the text right the first time. I am abhorred if that is being
                      misconstrued as "pretending to understand".

                      > After this episode, I have decided to take a break for as long as a
                      year, which I hope to catch up on other stuff. So, I will stop further
                      postings of the 1st pariccheda for the next twelve months.

                      I'm sorry to hear this and I apologize for my remarks which were never
                      meant to offend you or anyone else. I do not entirely share the
                      criticism that Mahinda and George have raised concerning the progress
                      of your work on the 1st pariccheda and, in fact, I was agreeing with
                      you in your responses to the criticism. I think progress is being made
                      in gaining a better understanding of traditional Pali grammar. I know
                      you're trying your best and you're to be commended for launching the
                      Saddaniiti project. I wholehearedly agree that we need to keep it
                      going in sptie of the obstacles and setbacks.

                      > Jim, I am grateful for your assistance so far, and I am glad that
                      you offer to start the 25th pariccheda, which isn't available on CSCD,
                      meaning that you would have to type out the text.

                      > I do not have the text, but I like to make an appeal to everyone to
                      consider helping Jim with the typing.

                      I think I can do most of the typing. I already have the suttas typed
                      out and only need to proofread ihem and type in the commentary. In
                      addition to Smith's edition, I also have the Thai script BBF edition
                      to work with. There are 241 suttas, not the 249 I mentioned earlier.
                      The entire kappa takes up 33 pages in Smith's edition which is about
                      the same no. of pages as the 1st and 2nd pariccheda combined. The
                      kappa starts off with the definitons of parassapada, attanopada,
                      purisa, pa.thama, majjhima, and uttama then takes up the uses of the
                      tenses which should be interesting. I still have a lot more to learn
                      about Pali grammar and will be dealing with troublesome terms. Well,
                      let's see how far we can go with the 25th paricched without getting
                      derailed!

                      Best wishes,
                      Jim
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 24, 2009
                        Dear Jim and Yong Peng,
                        Op 24-aug-2009, om 17:53 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

                        > I think progress is being made
                        > in gaining a better understanding of traditional Pali grammar. I know
                        > you're trying your best and you're to be commended for launching the
                        > Saddaniiti project. I wholehearedly agree that we need to keep it
                        > going in sptie of the obstacles and setbacks.
                        ------
                        N: I heartily agree with this. I am very grateful to you Jim, that
                        you are willing to help us with the 25th pariccheda.
                        Yong Peng, I am sorry about your break, but it is understandable. All
                        the work you do must be a heavy burden taking many, many hours. I
                        admire all the work you do and have done.

                      • ypong001
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 27, 2009
                          Dear Jim, Nina and friends,

                          I will still be providing administrative support as previous. I just wonder if anyone is interested to compile the material Jim will be providing over the next few years. It would be good if someone with good secretarial skills can help to put the materials in PDF format for people to download and read offline.

                        • Jim Anderson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 27, 2009
                            Dear Yong Peng,

                            > I will still be providing administrative support as previous. I just
                            wonder if anyone is interested to compile the material Jim will be
                            providing over the next few years. It would be good if someone with
                            good secretarial skills can help to put the materials in PDF format
                            for people to download and read offline.

                            As for typing in the text of the 25th pariccheda, I can look after
                            that and the proofreading. Help in this area will not speed things up.
                            I have not studied this pariccheda on verbs before in any
                            thoroughgoing fashion so this will be an opportunity for me to learn
                            and try to understand as well. Most of my work will no doubt involve
                            research on difficult points that usually entail extensive reading of
                            otheruntranslated grammatical commentaries. I'm planning to make my
                            first contribution this coming Monday. It will consist of the text and
                            translation of the one introductory verse followed by an etymological
                            definiton of the term "aakhyaata.m" (the finite verb) which I've
                            already done some reading up on. I have the 3 lines of text translated
                            in my mind. I will try to post an instalment each Monday with an
                            average of 1 sutta per week. Some of the postings will contain 2 or
                            more suttas if it can be done easily. In my readings so far it is
                            becoming clear that the aakhyaata.m is the most important word in a
                            sentence, grammatically speaking, as it carries vital information
                            about the sentence structure. It is for a good reason that it is
                            called the teller or the informer.

                            There will be periods when I'll be in another location with limited
                            access to my research materials especially from late December to early
                            April. I may also lose access to the Internet should my old laptop
                            suddenly die. Just to let you know that things may not always go as
                            smoothly as one would like.

                            Best wishes,
                            Jim
                          • ypong001
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 29, 2009
                              Dear Jim,

                              it is good if you are alright with the typing. I was referring to compiling your postings, including your translations and probably follow-up discussions and ensuing conclusions.

                              I can understand if you have to take occasional breaks in-between the postings, which will last for a few years. Keeping it short, I look forward to the very first post on "aakhyaata.m".

                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 30, 2009
                                Dear Yong Peng,

                                > it is good if you are alright with the typing. I was referring to
                                compiling your postings, including your translations and probably
                                follow-up discussions and ensuing conclusions.

                                Please feel free to do what you like with the postings on the 25th
                                pariccheda. I agree it's a good idea to put the material and the
                                discussions all together. I will probably be doing some compiling
                                myself and maintaining a master file for the text, translation, and
                                notes which will all be subject to future revisions. I won't be typing
                                in the text exactly as found in Smith's edition in that I'll be using
                                lower case letters only and leaving out the apostrophes that mark
                                elision. I will also compare with the Thai script edn. and take note
                                of significant differences in the readings. I find both editions very
                                reliable.

                                > I can understand if you have to take occasional breaks in-between
                                the postings, which will last for a few years. Keeping it short, I
                                look forward to the very first post on "aakhyaata.m".

                                I'll be sending in my first post tomorrow on Monday as planned.

                                Best wishes,
                                Jim
                              • ypong001
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 31, 2009
                                  Dear Jim,

                                  thank you. I shall see what I can do. I hope you can start the 25th pariccheda on a new thread, rather than replying to this post. Thank you.