Re: The Pali Mount Sineru and the Thirty-three gods

  • Jon Fernquest
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30 11:10 PM
      Dear Thomas;

      "I am told that in Buddhist legend the heaven of the Thirty-three gods is located on the top of Mount Sineru (Sumeru); asuras live in the area at the foot of the mountain; and the Four Great Kings reside on each side of the mountain. But I do not see this information in the Sakka Samyutta.
      ...Does anyone know which Pali text (s) records the legend of Monut Sineru (in connection to the Thirty-three gods)?"

      There is some information in the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names:

      http://what-buddha-said.net/library/DPPN/t/taavatimsa.htm

      Haldar's Early Buddhist Mythology might also have something about this.

      I am reading illuminated manuscripts on Buddhist cosmology nowadays in Thai or Tai scripts. They have illustrations of many things, perhaps this too. Just to let you know.

      With metta,
      Jon Fernquest
    • thomaslaw03
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
        Dear Pali friends,

        Thank you very much for the information. It is helpful.

        Obviously, these details of Mt Sumeru in connection to the Tavatimsa devas and the Four Kings are not clearly presented in the four Nikayas.

        Regards,

        Thomas Law