what does "D i 7" mean in pali dictionary?

  • Citta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
      I would like to ask what does "D i 7" or "Vin i 188" mean?
      I just know D=Digha nikaya, how about "i" and the no?
      thks
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
        D i 7 is the same as the scholarly way of referring to D 1:7 = Digha vol 1
        page 7 of the Pali Text Society Pali text editions.

        Vin 1 188 is the same as V 1:188 = Vinaya vol 1 page 188 of the Pali Text
        Society Pali text editions.

        Wiht metta,

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009
          Dear Piya and Citta,

          yes, in the PTS Pali English Dictionary (Davids & Stede), the numbers refer to the volume and page of PTS Pali edition of Tipitaka, unless otherwise specified. The PTS edition is a compilation of multiple other existing editions into Roman, an effort which deserved commendations.

          However, such a referencing system is only adequate for specific applications, e.g. in works only referring to a single printed edition. I think we should consider a more universal reference system for the following reasons.

          1. departure from printed editions to electronic editions, the CSCD is contained on a CD-ROM which holds only up to 650MB of data. Its entire contents can be distributed on a flash drive easily. People do not look at the screen as they would on paper traditionally.

          2. research based on multiple editions. As researchers familiarize themselves with other scripts, PTS will lose its status as the de facto reference. Besides, it is getting more common that scholars appreciate the importance of having more than one source of reference.

          3. technology-driven printing industry. Bhikkhu Bodhi's English translation of the Samyutta Nikaya is all in one volume, the era of the printing press driving the technology is long gone, the reverse is true now. Fixing the volume numbers and page numbers is no longer appropriate.

          Just my 1-cent.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:

          D i 7 is the same as the scholarly way of referring to D 1:7 = Digha vol 1 page 7 of the Pali Text Society Pali text editions.

          Vin 1 188 is the same as V 1:188 = Vinaya vol 1 page 188 of the Pali Text Society Pali text editions.

          > I would like to ask what does "D i 7" or "Vin i 188" mean? I just know D=Digha nikaya, how about "i" and the no?
        • Branislav Kovacevic
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009
            Hi Citta

            I faced the same problem when reading excellent blog written by Bhante Dhammika (http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/), since he uses similar references. So I was not always able to figure out from what sutta were his citations.

            Luckily, there is a solution. If you go to Sutta Central website at the following link
            http://www.suttacentral.net/disp_division.php?collection_id=1&collection_name=Pali
            you will be able to find parallel references: by PTS edition and by Nikaya/Sutta nuber.

            So if from the page above you click on Digha Nikaza link and in the table check "Vol/Page" column, you will see that your reference D 1:7 points out to Brahmajāla sutta, since it covers pages 1-46 of the fisrt PTS volume.

            Admittedly, this method is more efficient with other Nikayas, since suttas there are shorter and it is quite easy to locate sutta number and exact paragraph or word in it.

            Hope this helps.

            Metta
            Branko

            I would like to ask what does "D i 7" or "Vin i 188" mean?

            I just know D=Digha nikaya, how about "i" and the no?

            thks

          • kamleong_lai
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009
              You may take a look at the section for "A note about sutta reference schemes" at http://www.williamhamilton.net/mani/abbrev.html

              That is where I first learnt about this.