Re: AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (4)

    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 3, 2009

      thanks for the corrections and suggestions. I have nothing to add.

      I have done some research for our discussion of the previous post. I shall post a summary of my findings this weekend. Thank you.

      By the abandoning of pleasure and pain, by the overcoming of his former joy and grief, having attained the fourth stage of jhaana which has neither happy nor unhappy feeling (a way to denote indifferent feeling upekkhaa) but which has purity of mindfulness due to equanimity, he dwells therein.
      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.