Re: [Pali] Pali text reading (not chanting)

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
      Dear Thomas,
      Op 1-jul-2009, om 8:11 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:

      > Such as a text reading sound can help people how to read a Pali
      > text properly in term of pronunciation and meaning. Does anyone
      > know of this reading? Any advice?
      -------
      N: This is from Ria's letter (grasje) to a newbie, can you try this:

      For hearing the words spoken out aloud go to http://www.tipitaka.net/
      pali/andy/palwvm.htm
      or http://www.geocities.com/paligroup/
      At the bottom of the page, under miscellaneous, paliwvm.zip

    • grasje
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
        Dear Thomas,

        for whole texts, not just single words, go to
        http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/index.htm
        Cclick pali lessons (on the left), click 3:readings in pali text (in english) (on the right)
        and you can hear the whole dhammapada in pali, plus some devotional texts.

        Kind regards,

        Ria Glas

        > Dear Thomas,
        > Op 1-jul-2009, om 8:11 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > Such as a text reading sound can help people how to read a Pali
        > > text properly in term of pronunciation and meaning. Does anyone
        > > know of this reading? Any advice?
        > -------
        > N: This is from Ria's letter (grasje) to a newbie, can you try this:
        >
        > For hearing the words spoken out aloud go to http://www.tipitaka.net/
        > pali/andy/palwvm.htm
        > or http://www.geocities.com/paligroup/
        > At the bottom of the page, under miscellaneous, paliwvm.zip
        >
        > Nina.

      • ardavarz
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 4, 2009
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "thomaslaw03" <thomaslaw03@...> wrote:

          > Dear Pali friends,
          >
          > I am looking for Pali text reading (not chanting) in DVD/CD/MP3 format. I can find different traditions of Pali chanting (singing style) on the Internet, but am unable to find any, just a text (such as Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta) reading. Such as a text reading sound can help people how to read a Pali text properly in term of pronunciation and meaning. Does anyone know of this reading? Any advice?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Thomas Law

          Dear Thomas and all,

          I had some problems with my account, so I couldn't reply earlier, but I thought it would be well to share what I have found here:
          http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/programs/pali-class-online.html
          There are readings of Pali texts by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi from Gair and Karunatilleke's "New Course in Reading Pali" which could be helpful for those studying it. (This is really reading, not chanting.)

          Metta,
          Ardavarz
        • dhammatrust
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 7, 2009
            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "ardavarz" <ardavarz@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "thomaslaw03" <thomaslaw03@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Pali friends,
            > >
            > > I am looking for Pali text reading (not chanting) in DVD/CD/MP3 format. I can find different traditions of Pali chanting (singing style) on the Internet, but am unable to find any, just a text (such as Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta) reading. Such as a text reading sound can help people how to read a Pali text properly in term of pronunciation and meaning. Does anyone know of this reading? Any advice?
            > >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > Thomas Law
            > >

            > Dear Thomas and all,
            >
            > I had some problems with my account, so I couldn't reply earlier, but I thought it would be well to share what I have found here:
            > http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/programs/pali-class-online.html
            > There are readings of Pali texts by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi from Gair and Karunatilleke's "New Course in Reading Pali" which could be helpful for those studying it. (This is really reading, not chanting.)
            >
            > Metta,
            > Ardavarz

            Dear Ardavarz,

            What an auspicious find!!! I have spent weeks looking for lessons on the Pali language and routinely hit roadblocks. I then read this message and what I have been looking for is provided on a silver platter. Thank You so much. I will be downloading all of the MP3 files and storing them. I would recommend others doing the same thing before this dhamma disappears like some of the others.

            Thanks Again.

            Jeff