Re: [Pali] Re: NY Times Article

  • Oliver Cooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
      Dear Kevin,
      without having read the NY Times article, but having met Professor Lopez,
      and having read most of his published works, I can state that he is probably
      the epitome of what all educational systems should be about. I suggest that
      you look up some of his works, whilst bearing in mind that his particular
      field of expertise is not Thai Buddhism. I hope that you will find his
      writing accessible, informative and enjoyable.

      With best wishes,

      Oliver
    • Caebhin Howell
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        _
        _ooOoo_
        o8888888o
        88" . "88
        (| -_- |)
        O\ = /O
        ____/`---'\____
        .' \\| |// `.
        / \\||| : |||// \
        / _||||| -:- |||||_ \
        | | \\\ - /'| | |
        | \_| `\`---'// |_/ |
        \ .-\__ `-. -'__/-. /
        ___`. .' /--.--\ `. .'___
        ."" '< `.___\_<|>_/___.' _> \"".
        | | : `- \`. ;`. _/; .'/ / .' ; |
        \ \ `-. \_\_`. _.'_/_/ -' _.' /
        ===========`-.`___`-.__\ \___ /__.-'_.'_.-'================
        Yours in the Dhamma `=--=-'
        Kevin

        Dear Oliver,

        Thanks for your reply. As I said, I did not wish to judge Professor Lopez
        harshly. And I hope that my distrust of him was more an institutional
        prejudice than a personal prejudice. Also, I did admit that, even though I
        am a westerner, I view western ���experts��� with a very suspicious eye. To
        that end, your personal endorsement���even though we have never met���goes
        much further with me than an article or book jacket. Perhaps I will have
        the local library order in one of his books. Do you have a particular title
        in mind?

        Thanks,

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
          Dear Dimitri,
          I am glad you found the Patis. Magga text useful,
          Nina.
          P.S. By the way, I liked Caebhin's Buddha image, computer designed, I saved
          it in my files.