Brahmabhuuto

  • wewynal
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi,
      Can you help me to understand the phrase "brahmabhuuto" and "brahmabhuutena attanaa" in the context of Buddhism? Some friends told me that the Buddha taught that nibbana is synonym for "become Brahma (God)"

      "brahmabhuuto" have been translated as "(has) become like Brahma", "(he) is brahma", "become brahma". Which is best and how would you translate it?

      "brahmabhuutena attanaa" have been translated as "with his self self/essence become brahma". is this correct? How would you translate it?

      I have included to passage where thes phrase is found with their commentaries.

      Majjhima Nikaya 18 (Muulapa.n.naasapaali, Madhupi.ndikasutta.m, 203) [MN I, 111]

      "....brahmabhuuto......"

      Muulapa.n.naasa-.tiikaa, Madhupi.ndikasuttava.n.nanaa, 203

      "...Brahmaa vuccati maggo tena uppannattaa lokassa ca taduppaadanattaa, ta~nca sayambhu~naa.nena pattoti brahmabhuuto....."

      Muulapa.n.naasa-a.t.thakathaa, Madhupi.ndikasuttava.n.nanaa, 203

      "........Se.t.tha.t.thena brahmabhuuto..........."

      Anguttara Nikaya, Catukkanipaatapaali, Attantapasutta.m, 198 [AN II, 211]

      "...So neva attantapo na parantapo di.t.theva dhamme nicchaato nibbuto siitiibhuuto sukhappa.tisa.mvedii brahmabhuutena attanaa viharati......"

      Catukkanipaata-a.t.thakathaa, Attantapasuttava.t.tanaa, 198

      "......Brahmabhuutena attanaati se.t.thabhuutena attanaa........"

      Thanks,
      Wynn

    • rahula_80
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
        Hi,

        Can anyone tell how this phrase "brahmabhuuta" is formed?

        Brahmaa (masculine) + bhuuta or Brahma (neuter) + bhuuta

        Thanks, Rahula
      • Kumaara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
          At 04:59 PM 05-11-02, wewynal wrote:
          >Hi,
          >Can you help me to understand the phrase "brahmabhuuto" and "brahmabhuutena attanaa" in the context of Buddhism? Some friends told me that the Buddha taught that nibbana is synonym for "become Brahma (God)"

          This is new to me. How did they come to have such an idea?

          I've heard of teachings (particularly that of Hindu) that says enlightenment means union with Brahma (God) though.

          >"brahmabhuuto" have been translated as "(has) become like Brahma", "(he) is brahma", "become brahma". Which is best and how would you translate it?

          Ven. Buddhadatta's dictionary says: "most excellent".

          > "brahmabhuutena attanaa" have been translated as "with his self self/essence become brahma". is this correct? How would you translate it?

          The main thing I see here is that one should consider that there are other meanings to "brahma" besides "god". Example:
          brahmacariya: holy life
          brahmavihaara: divine abode, excellent state
          brahmada.n.da: a kind of monastic punishment whereby the offender "may say what he will, but the bhikkhus should neither converse with him, nor exhort him, nor admonish him." This was meted out to Ven. Channa. (DN16)

          So, there's no reason to limit one's understanding of the word "brahma" to "god".

          with metta,
          Ven Kumâra
        • Ong Teng Kee
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
            5 meanings for brahma in abhidha and tika.2 for father and grand father.The other re sammuti,visuddhi and upatti brahma(god).Visuddhi brahma is the ariya.
            Brahmabhuta ,nana,dhamma,cakkhu bhuta are the name for buddha in abhidhapdipika tikaa.See madhupindika sutta.
            see mulapariyaya sutta for this-brahmati bhikkhave tathagattssetam adhivacana.It means tathagatha is a brahma .Brahmabhuta is true brahma.

            > >Can you help me to understand the phrase "brahmabhuuto" and "brahmabhuutena attanaa" in the context of Buddhism? Some friends told me that the Buddha taught that nibbana is synonym for "become Brahma (God)"
            >
            > This is new to me. How did they come to have such an idea?
            >
            > I've heard of teachings (particularly that of Hindu) that says enlightenment means union with Brahma (God) though.
            >

            > >"brahmabhuuto" have been translated as "(has) become like Brahma", "(he) is brahma", "become brahma". Which is best and how would you translate it?
            >
            > Ven. Buddhadatta's dictionary says: "most excellent".
            >

            > > "brahmabhuutena attanaa" have been translated as "with his self self/essence become brahma". is this correct? How would you translate it?
            >
            > The main thing I see here is that one should consider that there are other meanings to "brahma" besides "god". Example:
            > brahmacariya: holy life
            > brahmavihaara: divine abode, excellent state
            > brahmada.n.da: a kind of monastic punishment whereby the offender "may say what he will, but the bhikkhus should neither converse with him, nor exhort him, nor admonish him." This was meted out to Ven. Channa. (DN16)
            >
            > So, there's no reason to limit one's understanding of the word "brahma" to "god".
            >
            > with metta,
            > Ven Kumâra

            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com: Where singles click. Free to Search!
            http://www.lavalife.com/wp.epl?a=2716