The New Pali Course Part III [8/120]

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 11, 2009
      [8/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter II Denominative, Onomatopoetic and Desiderative Verbs

      (continue...)

      15. "Daddabhaayati, bhaddante,
      Yasmi.m dese vasaam'aha.m;
      Aham p'eta.m na jaanaami
      Kim eta.m daddabhaadyatii ti." [J.iii,77]

      YP: "(It) clatters, sir,
      In whichever spot I dwell;
      This too I do not know
      What (is) this (which) clatters?"

      16. "So gehaa nikkhamitvaa... 'akkhiini me dhuumaayantii ti vatvaa nalaa.te hattha.m pati.t.thapetvaa uddha.m oloketvaa: 'Aho, dukkha.m! Ayyo no Mahaa-Kassapatthero cirassa.m me ku.tidvaara.m aagato; atthi nu kho ki~nci gehe?'ti aaha." [DhA.i,425]

      YP: "He, having set forth from home... said 'my eyes smoke', placed (his) hand on (his) forehead, looked up, and said, 'Alas, trouble! At last, the venerable elder Maha-Kassapa come to the door of my shed now; is (there) anything in the house?'"

      17. "Tena kho pana samayena dhuumaayitatta.m timiraayitatta.m gacchat'eva purima.m disa.m, gacchati pacchima.m disa.m." [S.iii,124]

      YP: "At that time, the smoky cloud (and) mass of darkness moves so to the first quarter, (and) moves to the last quarter."

      18. "So... tatth'eva vasanto taava pa.n.dita.m viima.matuu ti amaccassa duuta.m pa.tipesesi; ta.m sutvaa amacco atth'eva vasanto pa.n.dita.m viima.msi." [J.vi,334]

      Glossary Group 13

      1. Whosoever being powerful forgives the weaker one, this has been called the supreme forbearance. The weakling always forbears.

      3. (a) Seyyathaa pi naama, just as.
      (b) Phaalo...tatto, a ploughshare heated for a whole day.
      (c) Sandhuupaayati, sampadhuupaayati, sends forth smoke and steam.

      4. (a) Lola-makka.to, a mischievous monkey.
      (b) Na`n...dolaayanto, holding its tail and swinging to and fro.

      5. (a) Uragaana.m pavaro, the Naaga-king.
      (b) Pamokkham iccha.m, wishing his safety.
      (c) Selassa va.n.nena, having the colour of sapphire.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009
        [9/120]

        The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
        Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

        Chapter II Denominative, Onomatopoetic and Desiderative Verbs

        (continue...)

        (d) Last two lines: "Though I am hungry I dare not eat (the Naaga) because I respect the brahman's colours."

        When the Naaga was chased by a Garu.da the former hid under the cloak of a brahmin hermit. The Garu.da dared not remove the cloak and catch it as he honoured the brahmin.

        6. Do not beg of him (something) whose friendship you like to have. One becomes detestful by over-begging.

        7. (a) Jigi.msa.m, being desirous to gain.
        (b) Bhuutapati, lord of demons.

        9. Vaataa...viya, like a palmyra leaf agitated by the wind.

        12. If, pure in heart, he befriends even a single being, he becomes a possessor of merit.

        12. Durupeta, badly endowed.

        13. Ha~n~nati, viha~n~nati, dukkhiiyati, becomes grieved, tormented and miserable.

        14. Keva.t.ta, it is because I perceive this danger in the practice of mystic wonders, that I loathe, abhor, and am ashamed thereof.

        15. Daddabhaayati, makes the sound 'dad-dad'.

        16. Akkhiini me dhuumaayanti, my eyes are emitting smoke, i.e. my eyesight is not clear.

        17. (a) Dhuumaayitatta.m, a smoky cloud.
        (b) Timiraayitatta.m, a mass of darkness.

        ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009

          I spot a typo as follows:

          18. "So... tatth'eva vasanto taava pa.n.dita.m viima.msatuu"ti amaccassa duuta.m pa.tipesesi; ta.m sutvaa amacco tatth'eva vasanto pa.n.dita.m viima.msi.

          YP: "He... as long as (he is) dwelling on that spot, let him consider the wise"; having heard that, the councillor dwelling on that spot considered the wise.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009

            a few more of my attempts.

            8. "Devo ca vassati, devo ca ga.la-ga.laayati,
            Ekako caaha.m bherave bile viharaami." [Theg.v.189]

            YP: "Heaven pours, heaven roars,
            Alone, I dwell, in the frightening hole."

            9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti."

            YP: "Just as this palm leaf struck by the wind, ta.tat-ta.tat, there is also no end of this speech," (they) scorn.

            8. "Devo ca vassati, devo ca ga.la-ga.laayati,
            Ekako caaha.m bherave bile viharaami." [Theg.v.189]

            9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti." [DhA.iii,328]
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009
              Op 24-jun-2009, om 13:22 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

              > YP: "Heaven pours, heaven roars,
              > Alone, I dwell, in the frightening hole."
              ------
              N: I like the poetical translation here.
              ------

              > 9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa
              > kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti."
              >
              > YP: "Just as this palm leaf struck by the wind, ta.tat-ta.tat,
              > there is also no end of this speech," (they) scorn.
              -------
              N: This is very amusing.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 26, 2009

                thank you. I hope these will be helpful to all Pali students.