Re: [Pali] Saddaniiti: introductory verses 9 to 13

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009

      > N: I think this refers to enlightenment, not necessarily to
      > arahatship. As to pada paramo, I think he is wise also, he is well
      > the way, although he does not attain enlightenment in that life. I
      > inclined to give pada a wider meaning, not just the letter.
      > I agree that for the translation we have to find another word for
      > sappa~n~naa. Not easy since there are many degrees of pa~n~naa. It
      > can be intellectual understanding of the teachings, and also direct
      > understanding acquired through insight. We could choose discernment,
      > insight, sagacity (I am looking at the Book of Analysis, para 525
      > which gives many synonyms).

      J: I prefer "the wise" for "sappa~n~naa" and "the learned" for
      "vi~n~nuu". Notice also "vi~n~nuuhi" in its context in verse 13. After
      some more checking, I now think the two terms are synonymous along
      with "dhiirehi" at the beginning of the verses. At Abh 227-9 you will
      find 25 synonyms for "a wise person" including our three in the verses
      plus -viyattassa in verse 6. Also, there is the term
      "pariyattaabhiyuttaviduu" further on in the Saddaniiti and "-viduu" is
      yet another synonym for a wise or learned person.

      I like your comments on the padaparamo and have to agree that that one
      is possessed of wisdom too.