AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (3)

    Message 1 of 97 , May 31, 2009
      Dear Nina and friends,

      dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      dhamma investigation factor of enlightenment / cultivates
      cultivates the dhamma investigation factor of enlightenment...

      dhamma (n) doctrine, truth.
      vicaya (m) investigation.

      viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      energy factor of enlightenment / cultivates
      cultivates the energy factor of enlightenment...

      viriya (n) vigour, energy.

      piitisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      joy factor of enlightenment / cultivates
      cultivates the joy factor of enlightenment...

      piiti (f) joy, zest.

      passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      tranquility factor of enlightenment / cultivates
      cultivates the tranquility factor of enlightenment...

      passaddhi (f) tranquility, calmness.

      samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
      samadhi factor of enlightenment / cultivates
      cultivates the samadhi factor of enlightenment...

      samaadhi (m) concentration, one-pointedness of mind.

      upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti vivekanissita.m viraaganissita.m nirodhanissita.m vosaggapari.naami.m.
      equanimity factor of enlightenmnet / cultivates / based on detachment / based on dispassionateness /
      based on cessation / leads to relinquishment
      cultivates the equanimity factor of enlightenment, (which is) based on detachment, based on dispassionateness, based on cessation, (and which) leads to relinquishment.

      upekkhaa (f) equanimity, neutral/impartial feeling.

      Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m.
      this / is called / monks / power of mental cultivation
      O monks, this is called the power of mental cultivation.

      Imaani kho, bhikkhave, dve balaanii"ti.
      these / indeed / monks / two / powers
      Indeed, O monks, these are the two powers."

      3. "Dvemaani, bhikkhave, balaani. Katamaani dve? Pa.tisa`nkhaanabala~nca bhaavanaabala~nca. Katama~nca, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m? Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco iti pa.tisa~ncikkhati â€" 'kaayaduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, vaciiduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, manoduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~ncaa'ti. So iti pa.tisa`nkhaaya kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m attaana.m pariharati. Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m.

      "Katama~nca, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m? Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu vivicceva kaamehi, vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakka.m savicaara.m vivekaja.m piitisukha.m pa.thama.m jhaana.m upasampajja viharati. Vitakkavicaaraana.m vuupasamaa ajjhatta.m sampasaadana.m cetaso ekodibhaava.m avitakka.m avicaara.m samaadhija.m piitisukha.m dutiya.m jhaana.m upasampajja viharati. Piitiyaa ca viraagaa upekkhako ca viharati sato ca sampajaano, sukha~nca kaayena pa.tisa.mvedeti, ya.m ta.m ariyaa aacikkhanti â€" 'upekkhako satimaa sukhavihaarii'ti tatiya.m jhaana.m upasampajja viharati. Sukhassa ca pahaanaa dukkhassa ca pahaanaa pubbeva somanassadomanassaana.m attha`ngamaa adukkhamasukha.m upekkhaasatipaarisuddhi.m catuttha.m jhaana.m upasampajja viharati. Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m. Imaani kho, bhikkhave, dve balaanii"ti.

      "Dvemaani, bhikkhave, balaani.
      these two / monks / powers
      "O monks, (there are) these two powers.

      Katamaani dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      Pa.tisa`nkhaanabala~nca bhaavanaabala~nca.
      power of reflection-and / power of mental cultivation-and
      Power of reflection and power of mental cultivation.

      Katama~nca, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m?
      which-and / monks / power of reflection
      And what, O monks, is the power of reflection?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco iti pa.tisa~ncikkhati -
      here / monks / some / thus / considers
      Here, O monks, someone considers thus -

      'kaayaduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, vaciiduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, manoduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~ncaa'ti.
      of unwholesome action / indeed / bad / resulting effect / ... / and-so / in this world / hereafter-and / of unwholesome speech / indeed / bad / resulting effect / ... / and-so / in this world / hereafter-and / of unwholesome thought / indeed / bad / resulting effect / ... / and-so / in this world / hereafter-and
      'indeed, (there is) so the bad resulting effect of unwholesome action in this life and hereafter, indeed, (there is) so the bad resulting effect of unwholesome speech in this life and hereafter, indeed, (there is) so the bad resulting effect of
      unwholesome thought in this life and hereafter.

      So iti pa.tisa`nkhaaya kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m attaana.m pariharati.
      he / thus / having considered carefully / unwholesome action / having renounced / wholesome action / develops / unwholesome speech / having renounced / wholesome speech / develops / unwholesome thought / having renounced / wholesome thought / develops / pure / self / maintains
      Having considered carefully thus, he renounces unwholesome action and develops wholesome action, renounces unwholesome speech and develops wholesome speech, renounces unwholesome thought and develops wholesome thought, (and) maintains himself pure.

      Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m.
      this / is called / monks / power of reflection
      O monks, this is called the power of reflection.

      "Katama~nca, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m?
      which-and / monks / power of mental cultivation
      "And what O monks, is the power of mental cultivation?

      Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu vivicceva kaamehi, vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakka.m savicaara.m vivekaja.m piitisukha.m pa.thama.m jhaana.m upasampajja viharati.
      here / monks / monk / keeping detached from-so / from sensual pleasures / keeping detached from / from unwholesome / from thoughts / accompanied by reasoning / accompanied by investigation / resulting from detachment / joyful and pleasant / first / jhana state / having attained / dwells
      Here, O monks, a monk, while keeping (himself) detached from sensual pleasures, (and) keeping (himself) detached from unwholesome thoughts, attains the first jhana state, accompanied by reasoning, accompanied by investigation, resulting from detachment, joyful and pleasant, (and) dwells (therein).

      vivicceva = vivicca eva.
      * vivicca (indec) separating oneself from, aloof from.
      kaama (m) sensual pleasure.
      dhamma (n) thought, i.e. mental object.
      savitakka (adj) accompanied by reasoning.
      savicaara (adj) accompanied by investigation.
      vivekaja = viveka + ja (adj) resulting from detachment.
      * viveka (m) detachment, seclusion.
      piitisukha = piiti ca sukha ca (adj) joyful and pleasant.
      * sukha (n) pleasant, agreeable.
      pa.thama (adj) first.
      jhaana (n) meditative state.
      upasampajja (ger of upasampajjati) having attained, entered.
      viharati (v) dwells.

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.