Re: [Pali] Saddaniiti Chapter 1 (5)

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27 5:25 AM
      On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

      > I'm having a problem with introductory verse 9. Trying to decide on
      > whether the subject of "viditvaa" is "vi~n~nuu" (I'm leaning towards
      > this one) in paada d of verse 10 or "pariyattaabhiyuttaana.m" (gen.
      > pl.) on the same line as "viditva". I think "saddalakkha.na.m" should
      > probably be construed like "saddasattha" or "vyaakaara.na", i.e., a
      > system of grammar.
      >

      > Dear Jim,
      >
      > I would connect verses 9 and 10 with verse 13 and translate as follows.
      >

      > Pariyattābhiyuttānaṃ, viditvā saddalakkhaṇaṃ;
      >
      > Yasmā na hoti sammoho, akkharesu padesu ca. (09)
      >
      > Yasmā cāmohabhāvena, akkharesu padesu ca;
      >
      > Pāḷiyatthaṃ vijānanti, viññū sugatasāsane. (10)
      >
      > Tasmā (tadatthikā suddhaṃ, nayaṃ nissāya viññunaṃ;)
      >
      > Bhaññamānaṃ mayā *sadda-nītiṃ* gaṇhantu sādhukaṃ. (13)
      >
      > Wherefore, on understanding grammar, confusion regarding letters and words
      > does not occur to those who are engaged in the study of scripture;
      >
      > Wherefore, due to (that) freedom from confusion, wise persons in the Buddha
      > Saasana, understand (correctly) the meaning of texts;
      >
      > Therefore, grasp (well) the Saddaniiti ……. that is being proclaimed by me.
      >
      > On sa.mmoho na hoti in stz 9, cp. the very common usage “etadahosi : it
      > occurred”.
      >

      > Rough translation. It has of course to be fine-tuned.
      >
      > Mahinda

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27 7:58 AM
        Dear Mahinda,

        > I would connect verses 9 and 10 with verse 13 and translate as
        follows.

        I would connect verses 9, 10, 11, and 12 with verse 13. Thank-you for
        your translation help. I will work on and submit my own translation of
        verses 9 to 13 and post it in a new thread along with comments and
        possible questions regarding yours. This may take a little time as I
        have just started a thread on my own list regarding a passage from a
        .tiikaa on the Nyaasa. I'm also involved with Kaccaayana's grammar and
        its two introductory verses. Unlike the Saddaniiti, there are quite a
        few helpful commentaies on Kaccaayana to draw upon.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 8 , May 29 10:23 PM
          Dear Nina, Jim and Mahinda,

          thanks again for your corrections and refinements, especially the discussion of naamanaama and pavattanato. Indeed, I am glad to hear it is a better attempt this time.

          I refine the last sentence as follows,

          Manifold, indeed, the suffixes are, from/on account of (their) occurring among the various substantives, primary (verbal) derivatives, compounds, secondary (nominal) derivatives and verbs.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Mahinda Palihawadana wrote:

          >> Anekavidhaa hi paccayaa naanappakaaresu naamanaama kitanaama
          >> samaasanaama taddhitanaamaakhyaatesu pavattanato.
          >> Manifold, indeed, the suffixes, out of the many, [include]
          >> substantive, verbal derivative, compound, nominal derivative,
          >> [and] among verbs, from the process.

          > J: For the suffixes are of many kinds on account of (their)
          > occurences in various ways in ?nouns, primary derivatives,
          > compounds, secondary derivatives, and verbs.

          MP: I would prefer 'occuring' to 'occurences'.