Re: [Pali] Re: AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (2)

    Message 1 of 97 , May 6, 2009
      Op 4-mei-2009, om 3:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > thank you for the in-depth explanation. I now understand that
      > vossagga is relinquishment as to the two aspects of defilements and
      > nibbana.
      --------
      N: I was reminded of paralel explanations in commentaries to the
      Anapanasati sutta, with similar wordings, I quote:

      < And how developed, bhikkhus, how repeatedly practised, do the seven
      enlightenment factors perfect clear vision and deliverance?
      Herein, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops the mindfulness enlightenment
      factor dependent on seclusion, on fading away, on cessation,
      resulting in relinquishment..>
      The same is stated about the other enlightenment factors.

      With regard to the word seclusion (viveka), which is seclusion from
      defilements, we read about the meaning in the Co to the �Root of
      Existence� (Mulapariyaya sutta, as tr. by Ven. Bodhi)that there are
      five kinds of seclusion, or abandoning: by substitution of opposite
      factors(tadanga pahana), by suppression (in jhana), by eradication
      (by the four paths), by tranquillization ( by the four fruitions) and
      by escape (nibbana). As regards abandoning by substitution of
      opposite factors (tadanga pahana), this occurs during the development
      of the stages of insight. The personality view is abandoned by the
      first stage of insight: defining nama and rupa, distinquishing their
      different characteristics, and by each of the higher stages there is
      abandoning by opposite factors.
      As to the words of the sutta, fading away (viraga) and cessation
      (nirodha), these have the same meaning as seclusion, viveka.
      As to the words, �resulting in relinquishment�, as the Visuddhimagga
      VIII, 236) explained, this is relinquishment as giving up (of
      defilements) and as entering into nibbana. We read: <For insight is
      called both relinquishment as giving up and relinquishment as
      entering into, since through substitution of opposite qualities it
      gives up defilements with their aggregate-producing kamma-formations,
      and through seeing the wretchedness of what is formed (sankhara), it
      also enters into nibbana by inclining towards nibbana, which is the
      opposite of the formed (asankhata, unconditioned).> we read that also
      the path is called both relinquishment as giving up and
      relinquishment as entering into.

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.