Re: Pali Book

  • rahula_80
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi,

      Can you tell me the titles?

      Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
      understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.

      Thanks, Rahula
    • Jou Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
          the books are saddaniti edited by Smith-75 pounds.It is not a tran but an original pali grammar.you can only get burmese tran and partly in siam,eng and sinhala.Although the dhatu mala and padamala are online and in cdrom,saddamala is not.Also you can get index only from this book.The is another which is a better book compare to geiger-thomas orberlies -pali and prakrit .
          Some said this a the best book on pali grammar but I don't agree because mahanirutti by kaccayana,culanirutti and many other contemporary with ariyavamsa in myanmar also wrote good grammar book like niruttisaramanjusa etc.

          > Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
          > understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.
          >
          > Thanks, Rahula

          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

          Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com: Where singles click. Free to Search!
          http://www.lavalife.com/mailcom.epl?a=2116
        • paulocuana
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
            Hi Rahula,

            I hope you got some good replies to this request.
            There is really only one choice here. Warder's
            book is the only way to go. If nothing else Warder
            was a great educator; I hear he's retired now; his
            chapters gradually build knowledge & confidence.
            Be sure to notice when Warder asks for a reading and
            not a translation in the later exercises.
            Just to give you a little comparison the first 66 pages
            of Geiger's book concern phonology, yuck!

            Best Wishes,
            Paul O'Cuana

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
              Dear Paulocuana,
              I love Warder, but, it is limited. Gradually one may like to learn more
              details on compounds, for example. Therefore, I hope that the experts here
              will publish more on compounds. Saddaniiti is too voluminous for me
              personally to consult, and all in Pali I believe.
              Another subject I like very much: particles, prefixes. They are important.
              Question: kaayaanupassii: contemplating the body. What is the meaning of anu
              in anupassati? In PED I found among others: towards, after, along, in
              conformity with. Can it be like: anugacchati: going towards the
              characteristics of realities?
              Then the ii in kaayaanupassii: I learnt that it can mean: the person who
              contemplates, but also: the meaning of doing something habitually: who
              habitually contemplates. That would be close to the word viharati in this
              connection.

              I am all in for compounds and particles, whenever there is an opportunity,
              but it depends on the time of the experts.
              Nina.

              op 08-11-2002 01:48 schreef paulocuana op paulocuana@...:

              > Hi Rahula,
              >
              > I hope you got some good replies to this request.
              > There is really only one choice here. Warder's
              > book is the only way to go.
            • Paul O Cuana
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2002
                Dear Nina,
                As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                an understanding of these often repeated items would
                make it easier to navigate around the language.
                On the other hand, I'm impressed by the argument that
                the smallest unit of meaning is the sentence; and even
                so there are times when the meaning of a sentence
                can't be gleaned from the sentence alone but must be
                looked at in a wider context. The recent example
                mentioned in this group where some experts thought the
                Buddha wished for his words to be taught in any and
                all dialects, while other experts thought the Buddha
                permitted only Paali, comes to mind.
                I guess what I'm saying is that it seems the
                particular meaning of a word will change depending on
                the words that immediately precede and follow it.
                This is why I find the practice in this group of
                consulting Sanskrit dictionaries so troublesome. It
                seems our goal should be to find the particular
                meaning in a given Paali text and not the general
                meaning in a related language, although this may be
                helpful too at times.
                My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                Best Wishes,
                Paul

                http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
                  Dear Paul,
                  Why don't we set up our beginner's corner, and study prefixes and compounds.
                  For those who also know Skrt they have their own corner, that is fine.
                  Beginners helping beginners is useful because it is a kind of reviewing. And
                  hopefully, experts will now and then come to our help.
                  We can make some collections of difficult words. Nice collections of
                  compounds.
                  Warder gives examples of different types of compounds, but not easy.
                  I am thinking of Rahula's example: brahmabhuuto; is this a kammadhaaraya?
                  The first member may be an attribute of the second: a holy being, brahma,
                  holy or divine PED gives this word). Someone who has reached perfection.
                  Bhuuto: p.p. become, or a being. I did not keep Rahula's post, but it
                  seemed some thought it to be nibbaana. But when looking at bhuuto: nibbaana
                  is what has not become (See Udaana text).
                  op 10-11-2002 17:53 schreef Paul O Cuana op paulocuana@...:

                  > As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                  > things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                  > an understanding of these often repeated items would
                  > make it easier to navigate around the language.

                  > My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                  > of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                  N: I would like that, but only in small portions, because time involved is a
                  problem. What have you read, could you give an example of a difficult
                  passage?
                  My favorite is the Dassutara Sutta, and I read the whole Co to this, I
                  really enjoyed this.
                  Nina.
                • Paul O Cuana
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                    Dear Nina,
                    If there were world enough and time...
                    I plan to retire in about 18 months so I think I'm
                    just warming up until then.
                    Brahmabhuuto is an interesting compound since it would
                    seem to represent one of those phrases that Buddhists
                    would want to claim as their own. It's a good example
                    of taking an existing religious phrase and giving it
                    new meaning, and as you suggest the result is not very
                    satisfying. I checked Childers and he suggests
                    "excellent or best" in this phrase.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Paul

                    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                  • zeb1001
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2002
                      --- In Pali@y..., "Ong Teng Kee" <ongtk@e...> wrote:
                      > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                      pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                      > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.

                      Hi
                      Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                      Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?

                      Thank-you
                    • Ong Teng Kee
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
                        See also those grammar texts in sri lankan tipitaka project.They did put even a very rare book called moggallana pancika tika by sangharakkhita in that cd rom.
                        You should buy saddaniti from PTS because one book -suttamala is not listed in the cdrom.Others like moggallana and vutti on it and kaccayana /balavatara ,payogasiddhi along with rupasiddhi are all a must.
                        Unfortunely not even one complete english tran on them available till now.
                        We can only get non english tran on them with at least 6 tran on kaccayana in burmese language (also many tika on it)siam and sinhala /cambodia.
                        No buddhist University spend time to teach students on those 500 pali grammar text as far as I know.

                        > > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                        > pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                        > > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.
                        >
                        > Hi
                        > Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                        > Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?
                        >
                        > Thank-you

                        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                        One click access to the Top Search Engines
                        http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom