Re: [Pali] Saddniiti: introductory verses 7 & 8

  • SJ Garette
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2009
      I notice the use of m. what does this "m." mean in Pali, masculine or plural?

      Greetings,

      Jade

      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2009

        > Pariyatti: the note of PED: yes, but actually it is more. We listen
        > and consider the teaching about the present reality, and pariyatti
        is
        > not mere theory, it relates to the present reality, such as seeing
        > now, visible object now. This is the way to eventually understand
        > these as non-self.

        Pariyatti is a term I often seem to have trouble understanding. It is
        related to the verb 'pariyaapu.naati' -- to fully acquire or master
        (the scriptures). Verses 9 to 12 describe the process of going from
        pariyatti to the supramundane state. At the beginning of verse 9 there
        is the term 'pariyattabhiyuttaana.m' which I think means: of/for
        experts in the scriptures who understand the characteristic of the
        language. Verse 10 then goes on to describe the vi~n~nuus who
        understand the meaning of the scriptures, and finally in verses 11 &
        12 we meet the sappa~n~nas who follow the path and go on to reach the
        supramundane. Pariyatti is where we start, I think, and it relates to
        getting to the point where we don't get confused about the letters and
        the words and are able to focus more and more on the meaning of the
        Buddha's teachings.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • Mahinda Palihawadana
        Message 3 of 16 , May 5, 2009
          On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

          > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
          > .
          >
          > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
          > practice

          Dear Jim,
          I would take mata.m as a PPP serving the function of a verb. Grammatically
          "saccaadhigama.m .... mata.m (hoti)." The meaning would be "The attainment
          of truths is known (or regarded or understood) to be based on practice."

          Regards.

          Mahinda

        • Mahinda Palihawadana
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2009
            On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

            > Pariyatti is a term I often seem to have trouble understanding.

            Why? The commentaries are quite clear on this word.Search the CSCD under
            'pariyattiiti' and you will get a number of defining references. Most of
            them say "pariyattiiti tii.ni pi.takaani". A comment in Anguttara
            Commentary goes further and says that Pariyatti means the three Pitakas
            plus the commentaries. It is an entirely Buddhist usage. The Sanskrit
            equivalent paryaapti is not used in this sense in Hindu literature.
            PTSD has a fair explanation of the evolution of the term, from 'mastery' to
            "what is matered". (In olden times learning by heart and what has been
            learnt by heart.)

            Mahinda

          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2009
              Dear Jade,

              << I notice the use of m. what does this "m." mean in Pali, masculine
              or plural?>>

              I assume you're referring to ".m". It is the niggahiita -- the 41st or
              last letter of the Pali alphabet. It is equivalent to the m with an
              underdot as seen in unicode. For representing the m with an overdot
              you can type "m which is also another way to represent the niggahiita.

              << saccaadhigamana. m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita. m mata.m.
              pa.tipatti ca saa kaama.m, pariyattiparaaya. naa..>>

              It seems that some spaces somehow got inserted after the period in the
              digital transmission.

              Best wishes,
              Jim
            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                Dear Mahinda,

                Thank you for your interpretation of 'mata.m' as a PPP which you also
                suggested in message #13355, Feb. 24. The problem I have with it is
                the need to insert "to be" (not found in the Pali) in order for the
                PPP to function grammatically. I still think that taking 'mata.m' as
                an action-noun in the neuter has some justification (it is possible to
                have two or more valid interpretatons of the same Pali word like the
                'suta.m' in 'eva.m me suta.m'. In Cone's entry for 'adhigama' some of
                the other meanings given besides 'attainment' are 'understanding' and
                'realisation' -- so I don't think it's incorrect to state that the
                attainment of the truths is an understanding. Although Aggava.msa has
                'saccaadhigamana.m' in v. 8a, I think the meaning can be taken as
                exactly the same as the 'saccaadhigama-' in v. 7d.

                Best wishes,
                Jim

                > > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
                > > .
                > >
                > > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
                > > practice
                > >

                > Dear Jim,
                > I would take mata.m as a PPP serving the function of a verb.
                Grammatically
                > "saccaadhigama.m .... mata.m (hoti)." The meaning would be "The
                attainment
                > of truths is known (or regarded or understood) to be based on
                practice."

                > Regards.
                >
                > Mahinda
              • dhammadhiro
                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                  would you please me to give some advice
                  1. what is the meaning of dispensation. is it the translation of saasana? in my understanding the word saasana is buddha's teaching in general that is Dhammavinaya. does 'Dispensation' mean that sense?
                  2. in my understanding, the meaning of 'aasavakkhayalaabho ca, saccaadhigamahetuko' is rather to be 'and the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas caused (or: lead to) the attainment of the truths'
                  3. in my opinion, the word 'mata"m' is passive nominative. so the translation would be 'and the attainment of the truths, based on practice, is known.'

                  best regards
                  Dhammadhiro

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson.on@...> wrote:

                  > The translation of verses 1 to 6 was first posted to the group on Feb.
                  > 1 (see #13281). This posting continues on with verses 7 & 8. There was
                  > some discussion of verse 8 during the discussion of the earlier
                  > verses. I take these two verses as a compound sentence consisting of 4
                  > coordinate clauses linked together with the particle 'ca'.
                  >
                  > aasavakkhayalaabhena, hoti saasanasampadaa.
                  > aasavakkhayalaabho ca, saccaadhigamahetuko..
                  >
                  > With the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas there is success
                  > in the Dispensation;
                  > and the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas is caused by the
                  > attainment of the truths; 7
                  >
                  > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
                  > pa.tipatti ca saa kaama.m, pariyattiparaaya.naa..
                  >
                  > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
                  > practice;
                  > and the practice surely is supported by competence in the
                  > scriptures. 8
                  >
                  > Note: 'pariyatti-' could also refer to the scriptures themselves (see
                  > PED).
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  > Jim

                • Mahinda Palihawadana
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                    On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

                    > Dear Mahinda,
                    >
                    > Thank you for your interpretation of 'mata.m' as a PPP which you also
                    > suggested in message #13355, Feb. 24. The problem I have with it is
                    > the need to insert "to be" (not found in the Pali) in order for the
                    > PPP to function grammatically.

                    Dear Jim,

                    But even in the example you quote "eva.m me suta.m", isn't the verb 'to be'
                    not implied, although it is not 'physically' there? Another common example
                    is kata.m kara.niiya.m :"done (is) what has to done".

                    Certainly, there can be different interpretations. I only indicated what
                    seems to me to be the more likely sense.

                    Sorry I forgot all about the earlier communication. Apologies - and regards.

                    Mahinda

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 6, 2009
                      Dear Jim,
                      Thank you for elaborating on pariyatti. I could add just a few more
                      thoughts.
                      Op 5-mei-2009, om 4:29 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:
                      > Pariyatti is a term I often seem to have trouble understanding. It is
                      > related to the verb 'pariyaapu.naati' -- to fully acquire or master
                      > (the scriptures).
                      -------
                      N: I am glad with this word derivation. I did not know.
                      -------
                      > J: Pariyatti is where we start, I think, and it relates to
                      > getting to the point where we don't get confused about the letters and
                      > the words and are able to focus more and more on the meaning of the
                      > Buddha's teachings.
                      --------
                      N: Perhaps knowing the letter and the meaning (the letter and the
                      spirit). With yoniso manasikaara.
                      --------
                      > J: Verses 9 to 12 describe the process of going from
                      > pariyatti to the supramundane state. At the beginning of verse 9 there
                      > is the term 'pariyattabhiyuttaana.m' which I think means: of/for
                      > experts in the scriptures who understand the characteristic of the
                      > language.
                      --------
                      N: True, we are dependent on language, on words to understand the
                      teachings. For instance, we read about cakkhu dhaatu, ruupa dhaatu,
                      cakkhuvi~n~naa.na dhaatu. When I hear the word characteristic,
                      lakkha.na, I think of direct experience, not having to name
                      realities. There has to be yoniso manasikaara of the actual seeing
                      and visible object in order to become vi~n~nuu, someone with
                      understanding. What is seen, visible object, is only a dhaatu, not a
                      person. But it takes long to truly realize this. Pariyatti is
                      difficult for all of us. We keep on perceiving persons the whole day.
                      But that is thinking, not seeing.
                      ---------
                      > J: Verse 10 then goes on to describe the vi~n~nuus who
                      > understand the meaning of the scriptures, and finally in verses 11 &
                      > 12 we meet the sappa~n~nas who follow the path and go on to reach the
                      > supramundane.
                      --------
                      N:I like your description. Thus, pariyatti is more than just reading
                      the scriptures, what is met with in the texts has to be related to
                      our life now. Only thus pariyatti can develop into pa.tipatti, the
                      practice of vipassanaa/satipa.t.thaana.

                    • Jim Anderson
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 6, 2009
                        Dear Dhammadhiro,

                        > would you please me to give some advice

                        << 1. what is the meaning of dispensation. is it the translation of
                        saasana? in my understanding the word saasana is buddha's teaching in
                        general that is Dhammavinaya. does 'Dispensation' mean that sense? >>

                        Yes, 'dispensation' is the translation for 'saasana'. This came about
                        from Mahinda's suggestion of 'for the benefit of the Dispensation'
                        rather than my 'for the benefit of the Teaching' for 'saasanattha.m'
                        in verse 6. ~Na.namoli also translates 'dispensation' for 'saasana' in
                        his Path of Purification', I agree that 'dispensation' is rather odd
                        and we need to come up with something better. And 'Teachings' does
                        sound better. 'Dispensation' seems to suggest the dispensing of the
                        teachings like a chemist dispensing medicine.

                        << 2. in my understanding, the meaning of 'aasavakkhayalaabho ca,
                        saccaadhigamahetuko' is rather to be 'and the obtainment of the
                        destruction of the aasavas caused (or: lead to) the attainment of the
                        truths' >>

                        My feeling is that this would upset the order from top to bottom. It
                        would be more plausible if saccaadhigama were placed first but we have
                        aasavakkhayalabha instead. Also, keep in mind the term 'khii.naasavo'
                        for one whose aasavas are destroyed. I don't think I've ever come
                        acroos the term 'saccaadhigato' as a term for one who has arruved at
                        the truths.

                        << 3. in my opinion, the word 'mata"m' is passive nominative. so the
                        translation would be 'and the attainment of the truths, based on
                        practice, is known.' >>

                        Okay, I'll keep that one in mind.

                        Best wishes,
                        Jim
                      • Jim Anderson
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 6, 2009
                          Dear Mahinda,

                          Thank-you for the clarification. I was aware of some of the
                          commentarial definitions of 'pariyatti' and had even posted the
                          following from the .tiikaa on Abh 784 a few months ago:

                          "pariyatti pariyaapu.nitabbaa vinayaabhidhammasuttantaa." = "pariyatti
                          is the vinaya, abhidhamma, & suttanta to be learnt or fully-mastered".

                          My problem lies with translations such as 'scriptural learning' (you
                          did translate it as 'textual learning') and I find this rather
                          different from it being translated simply as 'the scriptures' or 'the
                          texts'. I'm considering changing my translation of verse 8d from:
                          "supported by competence in the scriptures." to "supported by the
                          Scriptures." (i.e the teachings as preserved in the Scriptures or the
                          Tipi.taka).

                          Jim

                          > On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Jim Anderson
                          <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

                          > > Pariyatti is a term I often seem to have trouble understanding.
                          > >

                          > Why? The commentaries are quite clear on this word.Search the CSCD
                          under
                          > 'pariyattiiti' and you will get a number of defining references.
                          Most of
                          > them say "pariyattiiti tii.ni pi.takaani". A comment in Anguttara
                          > Commentary goes further and says that Pariyatti means the three
                          Pitakas
                          > plus the commentaries. It is an entirely Buddhist usage. The
                          Sanskrit
                          > equivalent paryaapti is not used in this sense in Hindu literature.
                          > PTSD has a fair explanation of the evolution of the term, from
                          'mastery' to
                          > "what is matered". (In olden times learning by heart and what has
                          been
                          > learnt by heart.)
                          >
                          > Mahinda
                        • P G Dave
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 7, 2009
                            *re. saasana

                            *I would think "saasana" expresses a combination of the three concepts of
                            teaching, training and discipline.
                            I can't think of a perfect synonym in english.

                            metta,
                            PG

                            On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM, dhammadhiro <dhammadhiro@...> wrote:

                            > would you please me to give some advice
                            > 1. what is the meaning of dispensation. is it the translation of saasana?
                            > in my understanding the word saasana is buddha's teaching in general that is
                            > Dhammavinaya. does 'Dispensation' mean that sense?
                            > 2. in my understanding, the meaning of 'aasavakkhayalaabho ca,
                            > saccaadhigamahetuko' is rather to be 'and the obtainment of the destruction
                            > of the aasavas caused (or: lead to) the attainment of the truths'
                            > 3. in my opinion, the word 'mata"m' is passive nominative. so the
                            > translation would be 'and the attainment of the truths, based on practice,
                            > is known.'
                            >
                            > best regards
                            > Dhammadhiro
                            >

                            > aasavakkhayalaabhena, hoti saasanasampadaa.
                            > aasavakkhayalaabho ca, saccaadhigamahetuko..
                            >
                            > With the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas there is success
                            > in the Dispensation;
                            > and the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas is caused by the
                            > attainment of the truths; 7
                            >
                            > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
                            > pa.tipatti ca saa kaama.m, pariyattiparaaya.naa..
                            >
                            > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
                            > practice;
                            > and the practice surely is supported by competence in the
                            > scriptures.
                            >
                            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jim Anderson"
                            > <jimanderson.on@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The translation of verses 1 to 6 was first posted to the group on Feb.
                            > > 1 (see #13281). This posting continues on with verses 7 & 8. There was
                            > > some discussion of verse 8 during the discussion of the earlier
                            > > verses. I take these two verses as a compound sentence consisting of 4
                            > > coordinate clauses linked together with the particle 'ca'.
                            > >
                            > > aasavakkhayalaabhena, hoti saasanasampadaa.
                            > > aasavakkhayalaabho ca, saccaadhigamahetuko..
                            > >
                            > > With the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas there is success
                            > > in the Dispensation;
                            > > and the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas is caused by the
                            > > attainment of the truths; 7
                            > >
                            > > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
                            > > pa.tipatti ca saa kaama.m, pariyattiparaaya.naa..
                            > >
                            > > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
                            > > practice;
                            > > and the practice surely is supported by competence in the
                            > > scriptures. 8
                            > >
                            > > Note: 'pariyatti-' could also refer to the scriptures themselves (see
                            > > PED).
                            > >
                            > > Best wishes,
                            > > Jim

                          • Lennart Lopin
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 8, 2009
                              "Gospel" (literally)

                              ...if that word would not carry such a specific Christian context, it would
                              be a perfect fit, see below...

                              ==========================
                              PED:
                              ....susāsanaŋ dussānaŋ J i.239 (English transl.: "true and false doctrine,"
                              "good and bad news")....
                              http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.4.pali.35009

                              Etym of gospel:
                              O.E. godspel "good news," from god "good" + spel "story, message,"
                              translation of L. bona adnuntiatio, itself a translation of Gk.
                              euangelion "reward
                              for bringing good news." First element of the O.E. word had a long "o," but
                              it shifted under mistaken assoc. with God. Gospel-gossip was Addison's word
                              ("Spectator," 1711) for "one who is always talking of sermons, texts, etc."
                              http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gospel

                              This would capture

                              a.) Teaching
                              b.) Message (worthy)
                              c.) Training, a message to be put in practice
                              d.) qualities of a "dispensation", "tradition" even "religion"

                              ...but not really a serious consideration, given the many associations which
                              people follow first, rather than thinking of a words etymology, :-)

                              Lennart

                              On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > some discussion of verse 8 during the discussion of the earlier
                              > > > verses. I take these two verses as a compound sentence consisting of 4
                              > > > coordinate clauses linked together with the particle 'ca'.
                              > > >
                              > > > aasavakkhayalaabhena, hoti saasanasampadaa.
                              > > > aasavakkhayalaabho ca, saccaadhigamahetuko..
                              > > >
                              > > > With the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas there is success
                              > > > in the Dispensation;
                              > > > and the obtainment of the destruction of the aasavas is caused by the
                              > > > attainment of the truths; 7
                              > > >
                              > > > saccaadhigamana.m ta~nca, pa.tipattissita.m mata.m.
                              > > > pa.tipatti ca saa kaama.m, pariyattiparaaya.naa..
                              > > >
                              > > > and the attainment of the truths is an understanding based on
                              > > > practice;
                              > > > and the practice surely is supported by competence in the
                              > > > scriptures. 8
                              > > >
                              > > > Note: 'pariyatti-' could also refer to the scriptures themselves (see

                            • DC Wijeratna
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 11, 2009
                                sabbapaapasssa akarana.m .....
                                eta.m�buddhaanasaasana.m

                                The�meaning of saasaana, in the suttas, appears to be the�above--Advice.
                                In later texts, the meaning might have got expanded.
                                �D. G. D. C. Wijeratna