Re: AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (2)

    Message 1 of 97 , May 3, 2009

      thank you for the in-depth explanation. I now understand that vossagga is relinquishment as to the two aspects of defilements and nibbana.

      > Can you kindly explain vossagga too?

      vossaggapari.naami.m: resulting in relinguishment.
      The Commentary explains: there are two aspects of vossagga:
      1: elimination of defilements, temporarily by vipassanaa and by eradication when, at enlightenment, the lokuttara maggacitta arises.
      2: the inclination to nibbaana at the moment of vipassanaa, and the experience of nibbaana when at enlightenment the maggacitta arises.

      The Co. also explains that nibbaana is viveka in the sense that it is detachment from all conditioned dhammas.
      Nibbaana is called viraga, because it is the end of clinging.
      Nibbaana is called nirodha, because it is complete cessation.

      The ariyans develop the enlightenment factor of sati (and the other enlightenment factors) depending on viveka, having this as object, and the same as to viraga and nirodha.
      The Co explains that there are five kinds of viveka: by tadanga (overcoming by opposite), vikkhambhana (temporary suspension of the hindrances), samuccheda (eradication), pa.tipassaddhi (tranquillization) and nissara.na (escape).

      All this reminds us that the Dhamma from the beginning to the end deals with detachment.
      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.