Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti Chapter 1 (3)

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2009
      Dear Mahinda,
      Thank you for your interesting explanation. Difficult to find out
      what is meant, I would not be able to get all this on my own.
      Nina.
      Op 28-apr-2009, om 10:50 heeft Mahinda Palihawadana het volgende
      geschreven:

      >> The comparison is between finished metallic objects and finished
      >> words. Skilled persons form finished objects with the �raw
      >> elements� like
      >> iron and copper. Similarly persons with language skills form
      >> finished words
      >> with �roots�. For both �elements� and �roots�, the Pali word is
      >> �dhaatu�.
      >> For �form the Pali word in this sentence is �vidahanti�.
      >> �vidahati� is from
      >> the root DHAA with the prefix VI. So the author surmises that the
      >> word
      >> DHAATU can be derived from this root. That is etymologically,
      >> according to
      >> this opinion, DHAATU means �what forms� or �what is used to form�.

    • Mahinda Palihawadana
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2009
        Dear Nina,
        Actually, it is not difficult. It may look difficult, because I tried to do
        a literal translation. Now we can make it really simple.

        The verbal root is called DHAA-tu because linguistically skilled people use
        it to FORM words just as skilled craftsmen use elements like iron and copper
        to make iron objects and copper objects.

        Aggava.msa's "etaaya (=dhaatuyaa) viduno saddanipphatti.m vidahanti"= "With
        it skilled persons occasion the production of words".He means that the word
        'dhaatu' is proper for the verbal root because its own root is that which we
        find in the word 'vidahanti'; and he says the same word 'dhaatu' is
        appropriately used to indicate material elements like iron and copper which
        are used to produce more complex objects.

        Mahinda

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2009
          Dear Mahinda,
          Op 29-apr-2009, om 2:27 heeft Mahinda Palihawadana het volgende
          geschreven:

          > He means that the word
          > 'dhaatu' is proper for the verbal root because its own root is that
          > which we
          > find in the word 'vidahanti'; and he says the same word 'dhaatu' is
          > appropriately used to indicate material elements like iron and
          > copper which
          > are used to produce more complex objects.
          -------
          N: Now it is clearer, after you explained vidahanti: which has dha as
          root. I see that Sanskrit helps you.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2009
            Dear Mahinda and Nina,

            yes, thank you, Mahinda, for your patience. I again have to say that Saddaniiti is a completely different genre from the suttas, and the uninitiated, like myself, will take a little while to get used to it.

            After the last two bouts of your explanation, it is even much clearer, and such information will be very useful to our continuation of this study. I have not peep to see what is coming up next, but so far, we have been introducing 'dhaatu' as the verbal root, and the author has been explaining to his Pali readers and students why 'dhaatu', although we already know its meaning in English, is chosen as the word for this concept of a 'grammatical root'. Thank you.