Re: [Pali] Pali Book

  • Ong Teng Kee
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
      i always think that pali students didn't learn the pali in correct way like sanskrit students did.they all learn many years from grammar texts in panini etc.
      We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
      I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi,

        Can you tell me the titles?

        Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
        understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.

        Thanks, Rahula
      • Jou Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
          > I am planning to buy a book to learn Pali next week. (I already have
          > Pali Primer and Elementary Course in Pali).
          >
          > Which would you recommend?
          >
          > 1. Introduction to Pali by AK Warder
          >
          > 2. A Pali Grammar by Wilhelm Geiger

          A New Course In Reading Paali - Entering the Word of hte Buddha
          by James W Gair and W S Krunatillake
          from Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi

          > Thanks, Rahula

          Peace from Norman Joseph (Jou) Smith
          ICQ: 183459
          E-mail: josmith.1@...
          V-mail: +61 7 (0)500523778
          Mobile: +61 (0)421 542 653
          S-mail: PO Box 95 Toowong BC Queensland 4066 Australia
          URI: http://www.bigfoot.com/~josmith.1
          E-group: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ttbt
        • Ong Teng Kee
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
            the books are saddaniti edited by Smith-75 pounds.It is not a tran but an original pali grammar.you can only get burmese tran and partly in siam,eng and sinhala.Although the dhatu mala and padamala are online and in cdrom,saddamala is not.Also you can get index only from this book.The is another which is a better book compare to geiger-thomas orberlies -pali and prakrit .
            Some said this a the best book on pali grammar but I don't agree because mahanirutti by kaccayana,culanirutti and many other contemporary with ariyavamsa in myanmar also wrote good grammar book like niruttisaramanjusa etc.

            > Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
            > understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.
            >
            > Thanks, Rahula

            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com: Where singles click. Free to Search!
            http://www.lavalife.com/mailcom.epl?a=2116
          • paulocuana
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
              Hi Rahula,

              I hope you got some good replies to this request.
              There is really only one choice here. Warder's
              book is the only way to go. If nothing else Warder
              was a great educator; I hear he's retired now; his
              chapters gradually build knowledge & confidence.
              Be sure to notice when Warder asks for a reading and
              not a translation in the later exercises.
              Just to give you a little comparison the first 66 pages
              of Geiger's book concern phonology, yuck!

              Best Wishes,
              Paul O'Cuana

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                Dear Paulocuana,
                I love Warder, but, it is limited. Gradually one may like to learn more
                details on compounds, for example. Therefore, I hope that the experts here
                will publish more on compounds. Saddaniiti is too voluminous for me
                personally to consult, and all in Pali I believe.
                Another subject I like very much: particles, prefixes. They are important.
                Question: kaayaanupassii: contemplating the body. What is the meaning of anu
                in anupassati? In PED I found among others: towards, after, along, in
                conformity with. Can it be like: anugacchati: going towards the
                characteristics of realities?
                Then the ii in kaayaanupassii: I learnt that it can mean: the person who
                contemplates, but also: the meaning of doing something habitually: who
                habitually contemplates. That would be close to the word viharati in this
                connection.

                I am all in for compounds and particles, whenever there is an opportunity,
                but it depends on the time of the experts.
                Nina.

                op 08-11-2002 01:48 schreef paulocuana op paulocuana@...:

                > Hi Rahula,
                >
                > I hope you got some good replies to this request.
                > There is really only one choice here. Warder's
                > book is the only way to go.
              • Paul O Cuana
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2002
                  Dear Nina,
                  As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                  things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                  an understanding of these often repeated items would
                  make it easier to navigate around the language.
                  On the other hand, I'm impressed by the argument that
                  the smallest unit of meaning is the sentence; and even
                  so there are times when the meaning of a sentence
                  can't be gleaned from the sentence alone but must be
                  looked at in a wider context. The recent example
                  mentioned in this group where some experts thought the
                  Buddha wished for his words to be taught in any and
                  all dialects, while other experts thought the Buddha
                  permitted only Paali, comes to mind.
                  I guess what I'm saying is that it seems the
                  particular meaning of a word will change depending on
                  the words that immediately precede and follow it.
                  This is why I find the practice in this group of
                  consulting Sanskrit dictionaries so troublesome. It
                  seems our goal should be to find the particular
                  meaning in a given Paali text and not the general
                  meaning in a related language, although this may be
                  helpful too at times.
                  My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                  of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Paul

                  http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
                    Dear Paul,
                    Why don't we set up our beginner's corner, and study prefixes and compounds.
                    For those who also know Skrt they have their own corner, that is fine.
                    Beginners helping beginners is useful because it is a kind of reviewing. And
                    hopefully, experts will now and then come to our help.
                    We can make some collections of difficult words. Nice collections of
                    compounds.
                    Warder gives examples of different types of compounds, but not easy.
                    I am thinking of Rahula's example: brahmabhuuto; is this a kammadhaaraya?
                    The first member may be an attribute of the second: a holy being, brahma,
                    holy or divine PED gives this word). Someone who has reached perfection.
                    Bhuuto: p.p. become, or a being. I did not keep Rahula's post, but it
                    seemed some thought it to be nibbaana. But when looking at bhuuto: nibbaana
                    is what has not become (See Udaana text).
                    op 10-11-2002 17:53 schreef Paul O Cuana op paulocuana@...:

                    > As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                    > things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                    > an understanding of these often repeated items would
                    > make it easier to navigate around the language.

                    > My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                    > of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                    N: I would like that, but only in small portions, because time involved is a
                    problem. What have you read, could you give an example of a difficult
                    passage?
                    My favorite is the Dassutara Sutta, and I read the whole Co to this, I
                    really enjoyed this.
                    Nina.
                  • Paul O Cuana
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                      Dear Nina,
                      If there were world enough and time...
                      I plan to retire in about 18 months so I think I'm
                      just warming up until then.
                      Brahmabhuuto is an interesting compound since it would
                      seem to represent one of those phrases that Buddhists
                      would want to claim as their own. It's a good example
                      of taking an existing religious phrase and giving it
                      new meaning, and as you suggest the result is not very
                      satisfying. I checked Childers and he suggests
                      "excellent or best" in this phrase.
                      Best Wishes,
                      Paul

                      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                    • zeb1001
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 29, 2002
                        --- In Pali@y..., "Ong Teng Kee" <ongtk@e...> wrote:
                        > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                        pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                        > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.

                        Hi
                        Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                        Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?

                        Thank-you
                      • Ong Teng Kee
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
                          See also those grammar texts in sri lankan tipitaka project.They did put even a very rare book called moggallana pancika tika by sangharakkhita in that cd rom.
                          You should buy saddaniti from PTS because one book -suttamala is not listed in the cdrom.Others like moggallana and vutti on it and kaccayana /balavatara ,payogasiddhi along with rupasiddhi are all a must.
                          Unfortunely not even one complete english tran on them available till now.
                          We can only get non english tran on them with at least 6 tran on kaccayana in burmese language (also many tika on it)siam and sinhala /cambodia.
                          No buddhist University spend time to teach students on those 500 pali grammar text as far as I know.

                          > > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                          > pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                          > > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.
                          >
                          > Hi
                          > Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                          > Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?
                          >
                          > Thank-you

                          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                          One click access to the Top Search Engines
                          http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom