First 2 verses of Metta Sutta

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2009
      Currently i am learning metta sutta and only wish you have me to get the meaning of first 2 verses, word by word.. The rest i have it.

      "Karaniya mattha kusalena ,
      Yantam santam padam Abhi Samecca"

      metta(Alex)
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2009
        Dear Alex,
        Op 22-apr-2009, om 4:56 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

        > Dear Nina,
        > Currently i am learning metta sutta and only wish you have me to
        > get the meaning of first 2 verses, word by word.. The rest i have it.
        >
        > "Karaniya mattha kusalena ,
        > Yantam santam padam Abhi Samecca"
        ------
        N: I have the Commentary "Minor Readings and
        Illustrator" (Khuddakapaa.tha) and in section IX all is explained.
        It has: kara.niiya.m atthakusalena
        /should be done by one skilled in good (attha)/
        > Yan tam /santa.m pada.m /abhisamecca
        /which that/ state (pada.m) of peace (santa.m)/ having reached/

        What should be done by one with skill in good,
        The state of peace to have attained is this.
        Yan ta.m are nominative, agreeing with kara.niiya.m.
        Or a second possibility given by the Co: ya.m is a nominative, and
        ta.m accusative, agreeing with santa.m pada.m.

        This is interesting, we can see that there is not just one possibility.

      • Alex Long
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2009
          Sadhu to Nina and Lennart for sharing.
          "kara.niiya.m atthakusalena" Please explain the dot after kara. and niya.m attakusalena refer to?

          metta

          Op 22-apr-2009, om 4:56 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

          > Dear Nina,
          > Currently i am learning metta sutta and only wish you have me to
          > get the meaning of first 2 verses, word by word.. The rest i have it.
          >
          > "Karaniya mattha kusalena ,
          > Yantam santam padam Abhi Samecca"
          ------
          N: I have the Commentary "Minor Readings and
          Illustrator" (Khuddakapaa. tha) and in section IX all is explained.
          It has: kara.niiya.m atthakusalena
          /should be done by one skilled in good (attha)/
          > Yan tam /santa.m pada.m /abhisamecca
          /which that/ state (pada.m) of peace (santa.m)/ having reached/

          What should be done by one with skill in good,
          The state of peace to have attained is this.
          Yan ta.m are nominative, agreeing with kara.niiya.m.
          Or a second possibility given by the Co: ya.m is a nominative, and
          ta.m accusative, agreeing with santa.m pada.m.

          This is interesting, we can see that there is not just one possibility.

        • DC Wijeratna
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2009
            There are many translation of Kara.niiya sutta. I give below two:
            This is what is to be done by one who is skilful in respect ot the good having attained the peaceful state. (Norman, K.R., The Rhinoceros Horn and Other Early Buddhist Poems (Sutta-Nipaata). p.24)

            What should be done by him who is skilled in his own welfare for the purpose of attaining that of serenity is ... (Jayawickrema, N.A., Suttanipaata, p. 57)

            You would notice from what I have underlined, that the two are very different.

            I am happy with Norman's translation.

            Hope the above helps in understanding the 'intended meaning' of the above text.
            D. G. D. C. Wijeratna