The New Pali Course Part III [3/120]

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2009
      [3/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter II Denominative Verbs

      61. These are formed from the noun-stems by means of certain suffixes. The suffixes used to form the Denominative bases are aaya and iiya.

      Formed with aaya:

      pabbata + aaya + ti = pabbataayati, acts like a mountain, i.e. becomes steadfast
      macchara + aaya + ti = maccharaayati, becomes selfish or acts avariciously
      dolaa + aaya + ti = dolaayati, acts like a palanquin, i.e. wavers or swings
      mettaa + aaya + ti = mettaayati, diffuses love or becomes benevolent
      karu.naa + aaya + ti = karu.naayati, becomes compassionate, feels pity
      dhuuma + aaya + ti = dhuumaayati, appears like smoke or emits smoke
      timira + aaya + ti = timiraayati, appears like darkness or darkens
      sa.m + dhuupa + aaya + ti = sandhuupaayati, fumigates or emits smoke

      Dhuumaayitatta.m (clouding over or obscuration) and timiraayitatta.m (gloom, darkness) are two nouns from these bases; some others may be formed.

      Formed with iiya:

      putta + iiya + ti = puttiiyati, treats (some outsider) as one's own son

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 15, 2009
        [4/120]

        The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
        Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

        Chapter II Denominative Verbs

        (continue...)

        * patta + iiya + ti = pattiyati, likes to have a bowl
        * ta.nhaa + iiya + ti = ta.nhiiyati, craves
        * a.t.ta + iiya + ti = a.t.tiiyati, becomes afflicted
        * hiri + iiya + ti = hiriiyati, becomes bashful
        * dukkha + iiya + ti = dukkhiiyati, becomes miserable
        * sukha + iiya + ti = sukhiiyati, becomes happy.

        A.t.tiiyanaa, hiriiyanaa, etc. are the nouns formed from these bases.

        Haraayati and haraayanaa seem to be variations of hiriiyati and hiriiyanaa. But haraayati means: 'becomes depressed'.

        Onomatopoetic Verbs

        62. These are the verbs formed from the stems that are in imitation of natural sounds, such as hum.

        The suffix used to form these is aaya.

        * ta.ta + ta.ta + aaya + ti = ta.tata.taayati, makes the sound tat-tat
        * ci.ti + ci.ti + aaya + ti = ci.tici.taayati, makes the sound chit-chit
        * cic + cit + aaya + ti = cicci.taayati, makes the sound chit-chit
        * ga.la + ga.la + aaya + ti = ga.laga.laayati, makes the sound gala-gala; used to express the sound of a heavy shower

        Desiderative Verbs

        63. These express the desire to do, or wish to be, that which is denoted by the simple root.

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 29, 2009
          [5/120]

          The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
          Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

          Chapter II Denominative Verbs

          (continue...)

          The conjugational signs of these are sa, cha, and kha. The first syllable of the root is reduplicated before these signs.

          In reduplication:

          (a) An aspirate must be reduplicated by its unaspirate: bhuja becomes bubhuja.
          (b) A guttaral is reduplicated by its corresponding palatal: ghasa becomes jaghasa.
          (c) Initial h is reduplicated by j: haa becomes jahaa.
          (d) A long vowel in a reduplicated syllable is shortened, as in the above jahaa.

          Suffix Sa

          (1) su (to hear) + sa becomes susu + sa when it is reduplicated.

          * su + su + sa + ti becomes sussuusati when the second s is doubled and u is lengthened. Sussuusati, desires to hear

          (2) ji (to conquer) before sa is changed to jin; it becomes jijin when the first portion is doubled; again it becomes jigi.m when j is changed to g. Its parallel form is jigiisati.

          * jigi.m + sa + ti = jigi.msati, desires to gain or to pursue

          (3) paa (to drink) is changed to pivaa (through pipaa).

          * pivaa + sa + ti = pivaasati, desires to drink

          (4) manA (to think) before sa is changed to viima.m (through miima.m). vii + ma.m + sa + ti = viima.msati, investigates.

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 29, 2009
            Op 29-apr-2009, om 15:37 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

            > 4) manA (to think) before sa is changed to viima.m (through
            > miima.m). vii + ma.m + sa + ti = viima.msati, investigates.
            -------
            N: Interesting. I had never thought of reduplication. It seems to
            intensify, just thinking is intensified to investigating.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2009

              the discussion of desiderative verbs completes in the next posting, to be followed by some exercises. I look forward to your participation and assistance. As the name 'desiderative' implies, these verbs are used to express a desire or wish.

              I am not sure if reduplication is also used in other ways in Pali. At my current level, I probably won't pick it up if the reduplication isn't obvious, i.e. if complex morphing occurs. However, if we do come across such words in the suttas or other texts, I will highlight them for discussion.

              I recall from my literature class in my senior secondary school years in Singapore. There was this discussion of reduplication, and such words, as I remember, usually evolve from the spoken language, and are also more common in the spoken language, e.g. mama, papa.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 6, 2009
                reduplication is difficult. Your examples, and others show: desire to
                (do this or that)
                Op 3-mei-2009, om 1:22 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                > > 4) manA (to think) before sa is changed to viima.m (through
                > > miima.m). vii + ma.m + sa + ti = viima.msati, investigates.
                -------
                N: Viima.msa is another word for pa~n~naa. Repeatedly considering,
                not just once. So, rightly there is a reference to repetition.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 7, 2009

                  thank you. I recall a Chinese saying: 温故而知新,可以为师矣。This ancient proverb of wisdom has some deep meanings pertaining to Confucius' philosophy, which I am not going into, but just to make you aware of it. This proverb comes from the Chapter 2 Verse 11 of the Analects.

                  http://www.confucius.org/lunyu/dd0211.htm

                  The first five words 温故而知新 generally reflects the Chinese attitude towards learning, which I translate as: to make new discoveries from revising what was previously learnt. As such, I am always delighted to learn and share.

                  I am currently revising the early chapters of Warder's so as to proceed to the middle chapters. I have not gone very far, and my Pali study now focuses on quality more than quantity. On the vocab list on Page 16, there are several examples of words derived from reduplication: ti.t.thati, dadaati, pajahati.

                  We can apply what we have just learnt here.

                  The root for pajahati is haa [Warder's page 16]

                  Reduplication (of root): jahaa
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/13640

                  Prefix: (p)pa + jahaa = pajahaa

                  Suffix: pajahaa + ati = pajah(aa)ati > pajahati
                  [extra aa elided as a result of Sandhi]

                  In the grammatical index at the back of the book, it also shows other pages discussing reduplication, some of which are in the middle chapters. Hopefully, we get to discuss them later this year.

                  N: Viima.msa is another word for pa~n~naa. Repeatedly considering, not just once. So, rightly there is a reference to repetition.
                • DC Wijeratna
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 10, 2009
                    Viima.msaa is one of the four iddhipaadas. That most probably is how it should be understood according to the suttas. Iddhipaadas are required for the attainment of the path, and is thus not exactly pa~n~naa. Pa~n~naa, when developed to a level that would allow one to attain the path appears to be viima.msaa.
                    D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 13, 2009
                      [6/120]

                      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
                      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

                      Chapter II Denominative Verbs

                      (continue...)

                      Suffix Cha (= t + sa = ccha)

                      (1) kitA (to cure) before cha becomes cikic.

                      * cikic + cha + ti = cikicchati, treats medically. This is very often seen as tikicchati, first c being changed to t.

                      (2) gupA (to detest), before cha, becomes jiguc.

                      * jiguc + cha + ti = jigucchati, becomes disgusted with

                      (3) ghasA (to eat) becomes jighac.

                      * jighac + cha + ti = jighacchati, desires to eat, or becomes hungry

                      Suffix Kha (= j + sa = kkha)

                      (1) bhujA (to eat) before kha becomes bubhuk.

                      * bubhuk + kha + ti = bubhukkhati, desires to eat

                      (2) tijA (to endure) becomes titik.

                      * titik + kha + ti = titikkhati, endures or becomes patient

                      Examples Group 13

                      1. "Yo have balavaa santo dubbalassa titikkhati,
                      Tam aahu parama.m khanti.m; nicca.m khamati dubbalo." [S.i,222]

                      YP: "Whoever so, being powerful, (of) the weak endures,
                      That has been called the highest forbearance;
                      the weak endures always."

                      2. "Addasaa kho, bhikkhave, Vepacitti Asurindo Sakka.m Devaanam-inda.m duurato va aagacchanta.m, disvaana Sakka.m Devaanam-inda.m etad avoca: 'Tikiccha ma.m Devaanam-indaa'ti." [S.i,238]

                      YP: "As (he) saw indeed, O monks, Vepacitti the Asura chief, Sakka the Deva chief coming from afar, having seen Sakka the Deva chief, (he) said this: 'Cure me, Deva chief.'"

                      3. "Seyyathaa pi naama phaalo divasa-santatto udake pakkhitto cicci.taayati, ci.tici.taayati, sandhuupaayati, sampadhuupaayati, evam eva so paayaaso udake pakkhitto cicci.taayati..." [S.i,169; SN14]

                      YP: "Just as a ploughshare, heated for a day and thrown into the water, chit-chit, chit-chit, sends forth smoke and steam, just so the rice, thrown into the water, chit-chit..."

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 15, 2009
                        Thank you.
                        Op 13-mei-2009, om 18:40 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                        > YP: "Just as a ploughshare, heated for a day and thrown into the
                        > water, chit-chit, chit-chit, sends forth smoke and steam, just so
                        > the rice, thrown into the water, chit-chit..."
                        -------
                        N: Perhaps we can use the English onomatopae: hiss and sizzle.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 16, 2009

                          thank you for your suggestions. Surely we can, and I believe that makes more sense to the modern English reader.

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 27, 2009
                            [7/120]

                            The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
                            Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

                            Chapter II Denominative, Onomatopoetic and Desiderative Verbs

                            (continue...)

                            4. "Ath'eko lola-makka.to rukkhaa otaritvaa tassa pi.t.thi.m abhiruuhitvaa... na`ngu.t.the gahetvaa dolaayanto kii.li." [J.ii,385]

                            YP: "Thereupon, one mischievous monkey, getting down from the tree, climbing onto his back, holding (its) tail and swinging to and fro, played."

                            5. "Idh'uuragaana.m pavaro pavi.t.tho
                            Selassa va.n.nena pamokkham iccha.m;
                            Brahma~n ca va.n.na.m apacaayamaano
                            Bubhukkhito no visahaami bhottu.m." [J.ii,14]

                            YP: "Here entered the Naga-king
                            with the colour of sapphire, (I) wished for (his) safety;
                            And, respecting the brahmin's colour,
                            hungry, (I) do not dare to eat."

                            YP: iccha.m from icchati, apacaayamaano from apacaayati.

                            6. "Na ta.m yaace yassa piya.m jigi.mse;
                            Desso hoti atiyaacanaaya." [J.ii,285]

                            YP: "Him, of whom friendship (I) wish to acquire, (I) beg not;
                            Detestable, (one) is, from over-begging."

                            YP: yaace from yaacati, jigi.mse from jigi.msati.
                            YP: atiyaacanaa (f) over-begging.

                            7. "So Pu.n.nako kaamavegena giddho
                            Irandhati.m Naagaka~n~na.m jigi.msa.m
                            Gantvaana ta.m bhuutapati.m yasassi.m
                            Icc'abravii Vessava.na.m Kuvera.m." [J.vi,269]

                            YP: "That greedy Punnaka, with the impulse of lust
                            wishing to acquire Irandhati, the Naga maiden
                            went to that famous lord of Yakkhas
                            and called 'Vessavana Kuvera'."

                            YP: jigi.msa.m from jigi.msati, abravii from bruuti.

                            8. "Devo ca vassati, devo ca ga.la-ga.laayati,
                            Ekako caaha.m bherave bile viharaami." [Theg.v.189]

                            9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti." [DhA.iii,328]

                            10. "Gu.navantaana~n hi gu.na.m Buddhaa eva paaka.ta.m kaatu.m sakkonti; avasesa jano gu.navantaana.m gu.na.m kathento maccharaayati." [DhA.ii,45]

                            11. "Ekam pi ce paa.na.m adu.t.thacitto
                            Mettaayatii kusalii tena hoti." [A.iv,151]

                            12. "Seyyathaa pi naama eka.m puggala.m duggata.m durupeta.m disvaa karu.naayeyya, evam eva sabbasatte karu.naaya pharati." [Vism.314. Vbh.273]

                            13. "Baalo putta-ta.nhaaya c'eva dhanata.nhaaya ca ha~n~nati, viha~n~nati, dukkhiiyati." [DhA.ii,28]

                            14. "Ima.m kho aha.m, Keva.t.ta, iddhipaa.tihaariye aadiinava.m sampassamaano iddhi-paa.tihaariyena a.t.tiyaami, haraayaami, jigucchaami." [D.i,213]

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 11, 2009
                              [8/120]

                              The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
                              Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

                              Chapter II Denominative, Onomatopoetic and Desiderative Verbs

                              (continue...)

                              15. "Daddabhaayati, bhaddante,
                              Yasmi.m dese vasaam'aha.m;
                              Aham p'eta.m na jaanaami
                              Kim eta.m daddabhaadyatii ti." [J.iii,77]

                              YP: "(It) clatters, sir,
                              In whichever spot I dwell;
                              This too I do not know
                              What (is) this (which) clatters?"

                              16. "So gehaa nikkhamitvaa... 'akkhiini me dhuumaayantii ti vatvaa nalaa.te hattha.m pati.t.thapetvaa uddha.m oloketvaa: 'Aho, dukkha.m! Ayyo no Mahaa-Kassapatthero cirassa.m me ku.tidvaara.m aagato; atthi nu kho ki~nci gehe?'ti aaha." [DhA.i,425]

                              YP: "He, having set forth from home... said 'my eyes smoke', placed (his) hand on (his) forehead, looked up, and said, 'Alas, trouble! At last, the venerable elder Maha-Kassapa come to the door of my shed now; is (there) anything in the house?'"

                              17. "Tena kho pana samayena dhuumaayitatta.m timiraayitatta.m gacchat'eva purima.m disa.m, gacchati pacchima.m disa.m." [S.iii,124]

                              YP: "At that time, the smoky cloud (and) mass of darkness moves so to the first quarter, (and) moves to the last quarter."

                              18. "So... tatth'eva vasanto taava pa.n.dita.m viima.matuu ti amaccassa duuta.m pa.tipesesi; ta.m sutvaa amacco atth'eva vasanto pa.n.dita.m viima.msi." [J.vi,334]

                              Glossary Group 13

                              1. Whosoever being powerful forgives the weaker one, this has been called the supreme forbearance. The weakling always forbears.

                              3. (a) Seyyathaa pi naama, just as.
                              (b) Phaalo...tatto, a ploughshare heated for a whole day.
                              (c) Sandhuupaayati, sampadhuupaayati, sends forth smoke and steam.

                              4. (a) Lola-makka.to, a mischievous monkey.
                              (b) Na`n...dolaayanto, holding its tail and swinging to and fro.

                              5. (a) Uragaana.m pavaro, the Naaga-king.
                              (b) Pamokkham iccha.m, wishing his safety.
                              (c) Selassa va.n.nena, having the colour of sapphire.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009
                                [9/120]

                                The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
                                Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

                                Chapter II Denominative, Onomatopoetic and Desiderative Verbs

                                (continue...)

                                (d) Last two lines: "Though I am hungry I dare not eat (the Naaga) because I respect the brahman's colours."

                                When the Naaga was chased by a Garu.da the former hid under the cloak of a brahmin hermit. The Garu.da dared not remove the cloak and catch it as he honoured the brahmin.

                                6. Do not beg of him (something) whose friendship you like to have. One becomes detestful by over-begging.

                                7. (a) Jigi.msa.m, being desirous to gain.
                                (b) Bhuutapati, lord of demons.

                                9. Vaataa...viya, like a palmyra leaf agitated by the wind.

                                12. If, pure in heart, he befriends even a single being, he becomes a possessor of merit.

                                12. Durupeta, badly endowed.

                                13. Ha~n~nati, viha~n~nati, dukkhiiyati, becomes grieved, tormented and miserable.

                                14. Keva.t.ta, it is because I perceive this danger in the practice of mystic wonders, that I loathe, abhor, and am ashamed thereof.

                                15. Daddabhaayati, makes the sound 'dad-dad'.

                                16. Akkhiini me dhuumaayanti, my eyes are emitting smoke, i.e. my eyesight is not clear.

                                17. (a) Dhuumaayitatta.m, a smoky cloud.
                                (b) Timiraayitatta.m, a mass of darkness.

                                ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009

                                  I spot a typo as follows:

                                  18. "So... tatth'eva vasanto taava pa.n.dita.m viima.msatuu"ti amaccassa duuta.m pa.tipesesi; ta.m sutvaa amacco tatth'eva vasanto pa.n.dita.m viima.msi.

                                  YP: "He... as long as (he is) dwelling on that spot, let him consider the wise"; having heard that, the councillor dwelling on that spot considered the wise.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009

                                    a few more of my attempts.

                                    8. "Devo ca vassati, devo ca ga.la-ga.laayati,
                                    Ekako caaha.m bherave bile viharaami." [Theg.v.189]

                                    YP: "Heaven pours, heaven roars,
                                    Alone, I dwell, in the frightening hole."

                                    9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti."

                                    YP: "Just as this palm leaf struck by the wind, ta.tat-ta.tat, there is also no end of this speech," (they) scorn.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 24, 2009
                                      Op 24-jun-2009, om 13:22 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                                      > YP: "Heaven pours, heaven roars,
                                      > Alone, I dwell, in the frightening hole."
                                      ------
                                      N: I like the poetical translation here.
                                      ------

                                      > 9. "Esa vaataahata-taalapa.n.na.m viya ta.ta-ta.taayati, imassa
                                      > kathaaya pariyanto yeva natthii ti nindanti."
                                      >
                                      > YP: "Just as this palm leaf struck by the wind, ta.tat-ta.tat,
                                      > there is also no end of this speech," (they) scorn.
                                      -------
                                      N: This is very amusing.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 26, 2009

                                        thank you. I hope these will be helpful to all Pali students.