Re: [Pali] Timeline of post canonical Buddhist texts

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009
      Dear Lennart,

      You must be thinking of a sequel to something like Pande's "Studies in the
      Origins of Buddhism" (1957, 1974).

      There is Karl H Potter's Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies series as
      follows:

      *Volume VII: Abhidharma Buddhism to 150 A.D.* This volume undertakes to
      summarize the gist of Buddhist philosophical teachings from the first texts
      that developed after the Buddha up to and including the mammoth text called
      *Mahavibhasa*, generated from a convention held in the first or second
      century A.D.

      Karl H. Potter, Robert E. Buswell, Jr., Padmanabh S. Jaini, Noble Ross Reat,
      eds;.
      Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1996

      *Volume VIII: Buddhist Philosophy from 100 to 350 A.D.* This volume begins
      with the earliest Prajnaparamita Sutras and ends with the works of
      Vasubandhu and his acrimonious critic, Samghabhadra.

      Karl H. Potter, ed; Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1999

      *Volume IX: Buddhist Philosophy from 350 to 600 A.D.* This volume continues
      the coverage of Buddhist philosophical thought through the period that
      includes Buddhaghosa and Buddhadatta, Dignaga, Dharmakirti, and the
      commentators Bhavya, Dharmapala, and Sthiramati.

      Karl H. Potter, ed; Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 2003
      I only have vol VII.

      Not sure how helpfuyl this is.

      With metta,

      Piya Tan

      **
      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> wrote:

      > Dear Dhamma friends,
      > Maybe one of you could help me. I am looking for a time line/ chronology of
      > early Buddhist texts (post-canonical)
      >
      > Do you know of any book or online source which shows a time line with
      > approx. dating and names of Pali and early Sanskrit Buddhist texts from
      > around
      >
      > 300 BC to 800 AD?
      >
      > Thanks for you help,
      >
      > metta,