Adhikara.na Vagga (1)

    Message 1 of 97 , Mar 29, 2009
      Dear Nina and friends,

      AN2.2 Adhikara.navagga

      11. "Dvemaani, bhikkhave, balaani. Katamaani dve? Pa.tisa`nkhaanabala~nca bhaavanaabala~nca. Katama~nca, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m? Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco iti pa.tisa~ncikkhati â€" 'kaayaduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, vaciiduccaritassa paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, manoduccaritassa paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~ncaa'ti. So iti pa.tisa`nkhaaya kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m attaana.m pariharati. Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m.

      "Katama~nca, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m. Tatra, bhikkhave, yamida.m bhaavanaabala.m sekhaanameta.m bala.m. Sekha~nhi so, bhikkhave, bala.m aagamma raaga.m pajahati, dosa.m pajahati, moha.m pajahati. Raaga.m pahaaya, dosa.m pahaaya, moha.m pahaaya ya.m akusala.m na ta.m karoti, ya.m paapa.m na ta.m sevati. Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhaavanaabala.m. Imaani kho, bhikkhave, dve balaanii"ti.

      Adhikara.navagga
      matters of dispute / vagga
      On Matters of Dispute

      * adhikara.na (n) matter of dispute.

      "Dvemaani, bhikkhave, balaani.
      these two / monks / powers
      "O monks, (there are) these two powers.

      * dvemaani = dve imaani: these two.
      - dve (num) two.
      - aya.m (pron) this.
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * bala (n) strength, power, force.

      Katamaani dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      * katama (pron) which.

      Pa.tisa`nkhaanabala~nca bhaavanaabala~nca.
      power of computation-and / power of cultivation-and
      Power of computation and power of cultivation.

      * pa.tisa`nkhaanabala (n) power of computation.
      * bhaavanaabala (n) power of cultivation.

      Katama~nca, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m?
      which-and / monks / power of computation
      And which, O monks, is the power of computation?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco iti pa.tisa~ncikkhati â€"
      here / monks / some / thus / reflects
      Here, O monks, someone reflects thus -

      * idha (adv) here.
      * ekacca (adj) some.
      * iti (indec) thus.
      * pa.tisa~ncikkhati (v) considers, reflects.

      'kaayaduccaritassa kho paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, vaciiduccaritassa paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~nca, manoduccaritassa paapako vipaako di.t.the ceva dhamme abhisamparaaya~ncaa'ti.
      of unwholesome action / indeed / bad / effect / ... / and-so / in this world / in future-and / of unwholesome speech / bad / effect / ... / and-so / in this world / in future-and / of unwholesome thought / bad / effect / ... / and-so / in this world / in future-and
      'indeed, (there is) the bad effect of unwholesome action in this life and, so, in the future life, (there is) the bad effect of unwholesome speech in this life and, so, in the future life, (there is) the bad effect of unwholesome thought in this life and, so, in the future life.

      * kaayaduccarita = kaayassa duccarita (n) unwholesome action of the body.
      - kaaya (m) body.
      - duccarita = du-(c)-carita (n) unwholesome action.
      -- carita (n) action.
      * kho (indec) indeed.
      * paapaka (adj) bad, wicked.
      * vipaaka (m) result, effect, consequence.
      * di.t.the dhamme (phrase) in this world.
      * ceva [sandhi] ca eva: and so.
      - ca (conj) and.
      - eva (adv) so.
      * abhisamparaaya.m (adv) in future, after death.
      * vaciiduccarita (n) unwholesome act of speech.
      - vacii (composition form of vaco) speech.
      * manoduccarita (n) unwholesome act of thought.
      - manas (n) thought.

      So iti pa.tisa`nkhaaya kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m attaana.m pariharati.
      he / thus / having thought carefully / unwholesome action / having renounced / wholesome action / cultivates / unwholesome speech / having renounced / wholesome speech / cultivates / unwholesome thought / having renounced / wholesome thought / cultivates / pure / self / maintains
      Having thought carefully thus, he renounces unwholesome action and cultivates wholesome action, renounces unwholesome speech and cultivates wholesome speech, renounces unwholesome thought and cultivates wholesome thought, (and) maintains himself pure.

      * so (pron) he.
      * pa.tisankhaati (v) thinks carefully.
      * pajahati (v) renounces.
      * kaayasucarita = kaayassa sucarita (n) wholesome action of the body.
      - sucarita = su-carita (n) wholesome action.
      * bhaaveti (v) cultivates.
      * vaciisucarita (n) wholesome act of speech.
      * manosucarita (n) wholesome act of thought.
      * suddha (pp of sujjhati) purified, pure.
      * atta (m) self.
      * pariharati (v) attends to.

      Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, pa.tisa`nkhaanabala.m.
      this / is called / monks / power of computation
      O monks, this is called the power of computation.

      * vuccati (v) is called.

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.